Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752523 Members
5049 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCI ethernet cards-something other than the tu "tulip" driver?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Doland_1
Advisor

PCI ethernet cards-something other than the tu "tulip" driver?

I'm using Tru64 4.0D and cannot upgrade at this time. I'm having the problem with the underflow threshold changing. There is a way to set store-and-forward mode in 5.x, but I was told it doesn't exist in 4.0D.

Given that I cannot upgrade to 5.x, and cannot turn on store-and-forward mode, and cannot tolerate the hiccups of the changing of the threshold, I'm not left with many options. I'm considering just dropping down to 10 mbps mode.

But, I was also wondering if it just might be possible that there are some PCI Ethernet cards that support 4.0D that have some other driver that doesn't have that problem? I suppose probably not, that is probably the standard driver that they all use, but, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: PCI ethernet cards-something other than the tu "tulip" driver?

Hi,

could you at least upgrade to 4.0F or 4.0G?
There are other Intel based card which run on 4.0F, I am not sure about 4.0D.

greetings,

Michael
Paul Doland_1
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for responding. The customer in question is using an older version of my company's product, only certified up to 4.0E. Of course we have newer products, and are in negotiations to hopefully sell them a newer product, but that is a 2-year time frame project. So, at least for the time being, we are limited to a max of 4.0E.

I will do a check of Intel's site. But, if you happen to have a link to a possible product, that would be great.
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Workaround: (Hopefully you have installed patchkit#8=BL16 )

# dbx -k /vmunix

(dbx) patch tu_sf_mode=1
(dbx) quit
#

You will have to re-apply this tric each time after a kernel build.

Rgds,
___ Johan./

_JB_
Paul Doland_1
Advisor

About a month ago, I posted about this problem, that the tu_sf_mode variable didn't seem to exist in 4.0D. Someone at the time posted that they thought it didn't exist until 5.x, and I figured they were correct. But, between that time and today, I had installed the 4.0D patch kit released in 2001. Until this month, we had been running original release of 4.0D. Now, after installing that patch kit, the tu_sf_mode variable does exist! I just wish you were around a month ago to tell me that is what I needed to do!

Paul Doland_1
Advisor

Although it looks like my problem is solved, by the fact that the du_sf_mode variable seems to now exist after installing the patch kit, I thought I'd ask anyway about the DE600. I was told the problem exists with DE500 cards, but not with DE600 cards. Is this correct?

Thanks for any info.