Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Issue

Bruce Eley
Advisor

Printer Issue

Here is my dilemma, I have set up several printers to print from Tru64 via IP. I have 4 of the printers printing fine but can not get the other ones to work. How ever I can print to the printers that will not print from Unix from windows. If I change the printer address to the address of a printer that is working it will print. I have checked the printcap file and they are all configured the same. The only difference is the IP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
8 REPLIES
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Printer Issue

Are you able to 'ping' all the printers? Please post an example printcap entry.
Bruce Eley
Advisor

Yes I can ping all of the printers. Here is the entry for one of the printers that is not working.
hp6|lp5|hp6:\
:lp=/usr/adm/lp1err:\
:lp=:\
:rm=hp5:\
:rp=text:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:\
:sh:

As I said this is the same as the ones that are working. Other then the hp6|lp5|hp6.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

What is the output of:

lpq -P
lpc stat

Try connecting to the lpd port on the printer:

telnet 515

Ensure that the printer has the lpd service enabled.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Bruce Eley
Advisor

I can telnet to it and connect. Here is the other information.

SNF1> lpq -P hp6
SNF1: Fri Apr 28 14:52:25 2006:
No entries

SNF1> lpc stat hp6
hp6:
printer is on remote host hp6 with name text
queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
no entries
no daemon present
Shardha
Valued Contributor

Dear Bruce,

It seems this IP address may be assigined some where else too? eliminate this doubt.

Shardha
Bruce Eley
Advisor

I have checked that and there is no other equipment that is using that IP.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Is this printer the same model of the other that works? Are you sure that the remote queue name is text? Check your printer manual.

In this case, a tcpdump trace would help to know what is going on with the packets. See man packetfilter.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

I would:
1)Double-check printer network settings - maybe lpd services disabled,etc.

2) try
lpc restart
- remoute printer tends to hang up when IP substituted.

3) See
/var/adm/syslog.dated/current/lpr.log
and birary errorlog
(start sysman -> monitoring and tuning -> view events -> set filter to show All priority events for last few days.)

Good luck, and please share your results.
The fire follows shedule...