108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procedure to boot from OS CD and restore root filesystem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Procedure to boot from OS CD and restore root filesystem

Last week I faced a problem with booting my ES40 system - Tru64 4.0F.
I have an application for assigning fixed ttys.
When it was needed to configure more ttys I changed the nptys kernel parameter and increased it from 650 to 700. Then I added the respective entries for the ttys in /etc/inittab.
After which I rebooted the system and the system used to keep on giving message kloadsrv : server already running .
I tried to boot in single user mode , tried to boot from a backup copy of my kernel,genvmunix
but nothing helped. Then I tried to boot from the OS CD - went to shell prompt but then since my root filesystem is Advfs it was needed to configure Advfs filesystem for the /dev/dsk0a partition. But I was worrying whether creating a Advfs domain and filesystem would create problem for the root filesystem existing on the dsk0a.
Or can anyone tell me how to boot from OS CD and mount the root filesystem to make any changes to any file on it ?

3 REPLIES 3
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

please have a look into the admin guide of Tru64 delivered with the OS-CD (online documentation). It explains ADVFS and restore procedure in detail.

Btw. /dev/dsk0a is not a valid device for 4.x systems, in your case it must be /dev/rz0a!

This is the way which is explained within the manual:

- boot cd
- "shell"
- cd /etc/fdmns
- mkdir root_domain
- cd root_domain
- ln -s /dev/rz0a rz0a
- mount root_domain#root /mnt

Maybe it is time to have a deep look into the documentation. HP delivers all necessary informations with the CD-Kit.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks Ralf
I will try this during the scheduled shutdown. As you have rightly pointed out the disk device is /dev/rz0a .
I couldnt find this procedure in the Advfs admin manual anyway as you said I need to give a thorough look into the manuals.
Thanks once again

Ninad
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

This is to update what steps I was required to follow as told by Ralf, only one additional thing was required to be done and that is using the MAKEDEV command to create device files for rz0a
The procedure followed was as follows.
This is for the benifit of people like me

- boot cd
- "shell"
- MAKEDEV rz0a
- cd /etc/fdmns
- mkdir root_domain
- cd root_domain
- ln -s /dev/rz0a rz0a
- mount root_domain#root /mnt

Regards
Ninad