New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reconfigure / Change TruCluser Alias

SOLVED
Go to solution
Juan Canjura
Advisor

Reconfigure / Change TruCluser Alias

Hi Everyone,

I have a 3-node Tru64 TruCluster v5.1 and I need to change/reconfigure the cluster alias (IP and hostname). What'd be the safest way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Juan
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

For IP change, just modify the cluster alias entry in /etc/hosts. Reboot each member.

You can add a new alias for the hostname in the hosts file or DNS.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Juan Canjura
Advisor

Thanks for your reply Ivan,

The only problem is I'm swapping servers. The current cluster will be replaced by another standalone machine and the current Cluster Alias will be used by that new server so I can't add a new alias in the hosts/DNS files. The new cluster alias will be the hostname of the new server.

How can I change the hostname of the DEFAULTALIAS to swap the servers?

Thanks again,

Juan
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If a new server will be used, you don't need to change the hostname of the current servers or cluster alias. My question is, why do you want to do that?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Juan Canjura
Advisor

Let's say I have Alpha as my cluster alias and Bravo-Charlie-Delta as a cluster members. The clients connect to Alpha but now the new server will be in place and, after migrating everthing to it, that server will be called Alpha so I need to change the cluster alias to something else.

I understand the process is not so easy and maybe out of focus for this forum. If that's the case I only need a light to some links where I can find some more info about the process.

Thanks again.

Juan
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

If I understand you correctly you will need to change the 'cluster_name' entry in the /etc/sysconfigtab file (once on each cluster member) to be the new cluster alias you want to use. You will have to reboot all cluster members to make use of the nwew name. The new cluster alias should be defined correctly in the cluster's /etc/hosts file before making this change.
Juan Canjura
Advisor

Thanks you both for the information.

Juan