New Discussion юеВ

Restoration - files/groups/permissions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Restoration - files/groups/permissions

Hi,

As per my other thread and after lots of advice, i have managed to get my legacy server up and running, RAID configured and O/S v5.1B installed (thanks for the help).

My next dilema was that i was expecting the users to be brought back in the "Account Manager" screen within daily admin - though this doesnt seem to be the case?? - do i have to recreate each user/group again (their home directories have been restored successfully)

My 2nd query is to do with groups/permissions. Again i naively thought that all groups etc would be restored along with the correct ownerships/permissions on each file that had been restored as before. If i create some groups, is there any easy way just to allow all users access to each file. (i realise this isnt good paractice, but all i need to do is get an oracle database up and running to be queried). So i need to be able to be at the top (root) of the oracle installation e.g /u01/oracle and is there someway to cascade the 777 permission recursively down this section of the file system??

1 last query - do environment variables have to be manually restored again after a fresh install/file system restoration??

thanks again in advance - this is a steep learning curve so all help is much appreciated

cheers

barry
27 REPLIES 27
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Restoration - files/groups/permissions

Hi Barry,

1. Can you let us know what you've done so far to get things restored...

I know you've rebuilt things from CD, but have you restored anything from tape etc. ?

As you may know users and groups are stored in the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group Were those files restored ?

2. You can do a recursive chmod using the -R option. So for example:

cd /u01
chmod -R 777 oracle

although I'd only go down that route as a last resort.

3. Environment variables could be stored in a number of places. Eg. /etc/profile or in the .profile in each users home directory. Again it depends how you restored things as to whether these will came back.

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. If we are managing to help you out, you might want to assign points to people's responses...
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi Rob,

I thought i had assigned points with the last responses?? - well i tried to and i will deffo make sure i have :)

I went through the install process, then have restored my backup from a DLT drive. I created the domains/filesets as before (had a note of them). I used the default (/ root files) that are created at install then created 2 mount points /u01 & /u02. I have then restored the file systems to the required mount points. so to be honest i suppose i have just used the default root installation and mounted my 2 files systems so that is perhaps when my problems are stemming from.

Looking at your points i didnt restore the /etc directory i dont think which i will now go and do - so thanks for that

thanks for your help

barry
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

1. If you reinstalled the OS, you must manually recreate users and groups or restore the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. More files are required if you where using enhanced security.

2. Don't grant world write access to files, create a common group for users that need to write to files/directories and add the users to that group. You can use something:

chown -R root.group directory/
chmod -R root.group directory/

To apply permissions recursivelly. You can also do a "find":

find . -type f -exec chown root.group {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chown root.group {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 775 {} \;

3. Yes, environmental variables must be restored from a backup if you have one. They can be in /etc/profile or in the user $HOME/.profile (depending of the shell).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to start again with all the advice you guys have given me, i.e keep the RAID config and reinstall the O/S by booting from CD.

This seemed to be going fine but have now got an error when i boot:-

Errors: Cluster() Local () Cluster/Local 34 Total:34

bcheckrc: device naming failed initial check.

run "dn_setuo -sanity_check" and if command is successful, exit or type ctrl-D to continue booting.

Have tried both options and it still wont boot (as the O/S has prob not finished installing??). Tried ctrl-D and was given option of level 0-9, picked "0" and am still stuck in single user mode.

again totally confused and any help would be great

cheers again

barry
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Barry,

You're not having much luck...:-(

I've not come across that particular error, but something appears to have got a bit confused with the device naming somewhere.

Rather than trying to fix this, if you let people know what you've got, in terms of hardware, backup tapes, etc. it will probably be easier to start again.

For example you should be able to boot off the installation CD, then get out to a shell.

From there you should be able to reconfigure the hardware, get your file domains created etc. and restored, without having to go through a complete installation.

Obviously this is dependant on you having a full backup on tape to be able to restore from...

Cheers,

Rob
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

Hi,

These are the errors i get when trying to boot: (sorry if they are repetitive!!)

on typing dsfmgr -K

we get the following error

dsfmgr: Error: ADD inconsistent datum for registered device: kevm.pterm HWID-BIND was: 5-3, is: 4-2

NOTE: probable cause was previous failure of command: "dsfmgr -R hwid 5"

dsfmgr: Error: ADD inconsistent datum for registered device: kevm.debug HWID-BIND was: 5-3, is: 4-2

NOTE: probable cause was previous failure of command: "dsfmgr -R hwid 5"

dsfmgr: error: create node: node type: /dev/ is:directory sb:character special

dsfmgr: Error: ADD inconsistent datum for registered device: random HWID-BIND was: 63-12, is: 68-16

NOTE: probable cause was previous failure of command: "dsfmgr -R hwid 63"

dsfmgr: Error: ADD inconsistent datum for registered device: urandom HWID-BIND was: 64-13, is: 69-17

NOTE: probable cause was previous failure of command: "dsfmgr -R hwid 64"

i then tried dsfmgr -v -F which explains

Dev Nodes:
Warning: (c)_scsi_scsi device prefix wrong. IS:_sc Sb:scp
Warning: (c) status record not found for HWID 3:c'scp_scsi'
NOTE: to fix execute "dsfmgr: -K"
Warning: (c) scp device prefix wrong. Is:scp Sb:kevm
WARNING: status record not found for HWID for: c 'kevm'
WARNING: status record not found for HWID for: c 'scp.ptrem'
WARNING: status record not found for HWID for: c 'scp.debug'
WARNING: node not found in status file: /dev/
Warning:node wrong file type "/dev/" Is:directory Sb:character special
Memory Fault

If i then type dsfmgr -K as suggested and i get a locking file error.

The hardware i have is a DLT backup drive, cdrom, 2 x 3 member RAID drives in a storage shelf, 1 system drive (as 1 failed) and scsi bus.

Again any advice would be great, getting so far then seem to get a set back. Have learned more about Tru64 in the last week than i my life!!!!

thanks again

barry
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Yuck...!

What do you get out of the command :

hwmgr view devices

If you get back to the SRM prompt (P00>>>) what do you get from :

show dev

Cheers,

Rob
Barry Ashcroft
Advisor

hi Rob,

Not a good start by the sounds of "yuck" haha.

hwmgr show device

HWID Device Name Mfg Model Location
3: (unknown)
4: (unknown)
11: (unknown) SWXCR xcr0
12: (unknown) SWXCR ctrl-0-unit-0
13: (unknown) SWXCR ctrl-0-unit-1
42: (unknown) 3.5in fdi0-unit-lun-0
57: (unknown) COMPAQ CD-224E bus-0-targ-0-lun-0
58: (unknown) COMPAQ SDT-9000bus-4-targ-6-lun-0
65: (unknown) COMPAQ DLT8000 bus-5-targ-6-lun-0
66: (unknown)
68: (unknown)
69: (unknown)

>>> show dev

all devices seem to be shown ok, big list but i could type it if you wish??, all major h/w seems to be identified with no errors

cheers

barry
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

I don't like the look of all the unknown device names.

You should expect to see something like this:

# hwmgr view devices
HWID: Device Name Mfg Model Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3: /dev/dmapi/dmapi
4: /dev/scp_scsi
5: /dev/kevm
12: /dev/cport/scp0 SWXCR xcr0
13: /dev/disk/dsk0c SWXCR ctlr-0-unit-0
14: /dev/disk/dsk1c SWXCR ctlr-0-unit-1
50: /dev/disk/floppy0c 3.5in floppy fdi0-unit-0
59: /dev/disk/cdrom0c DEC RRD47 (C) DEC bus-0-targ-5-lun-0
61: /dev/random
62: /dev/urandom

I'd be tempted to start again (again !).

Have you got a complete backup on tape ?

Rob