5827 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Scsi Adapter in DS20E Server

k_kivi
Occasional Contributor

Scsi Adapter in DS20E Server

Hi,
I have a DS20E server with tru64 5.1 and it got the scsi adapter SYM8952U PCI to Ultra2 scsi host Adapter and the internal scsi is connected to Hardidsk bay(internal Hot Swapable Bay). I need to connect a Digital BA356 Storage array box to the same card external scsi.But I am getting an error while booting or accessing the particular array disk "SCSI 0 error SCSI reset.and some times system will hang also.I have checked with diffrest BA356 and diffrent Terminator and Diffrent Scsi cable and Diffrent JHard Disk Also but iam getting the same error.So can any one pls help me to find out the solution for this problem..Is there any incompatibility between BA356 and DS20E server or its scsi adapter.

Thanks
KIVI

2 REPLIES 2
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Scsi Adapter in DS20E Server

As written often:

check if the adapter is on the supported option list of the machine (hp website). If yes read and update the controller as written on the supported option list for 5.1 use (firmware, slot etc.).

If all settings and recommendation matches connect the BA356 (if on the supported option list for this controller)and check cabling and cable length twice. Be sure you have set the internal jumpers correctly as given within the install guide of the BA356.

If it is not supported or qualified do not use it or you will loose supported state of the whole machine. Engineering qualifies and tests the equipment so if it is on the support option list it will work.

Btw. there are different types of BA356 (16, 32-Bit etc.) so be sure you are using the right terminator and settings (have a look into the manual of BA356)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
k_kivi
Occasional Contributor

Re: Scsi Adapter in DS20E Server

Hi,
Thanks for ur reply..I have searched rlated information in the net especially in HP site but in vain .. I couldn't get any information reg whether the BA356 will support this particualr card(SYM8952U).Can any one pls help me out in this regard bcos I needed it very emergency.
Since i Have connected the same BA356 with XP1000 professional worstation 2nd scsi adapter (taking ne cable out bcos it doesn't have any external scsi connector)and it is orking fine for the past 2 years.with the same version 4.0F.simalry i have connected the same with Digital 500/333 worstaion also.
So I am not getting the exact reason of not supporting.. i have used small(less than One metre) HD 68 to HD 68 cable also but same

Thanks
K_Kivi