108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sendmail configuration using mailsetup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hilda Mabhena
Advisor

Sendmail configuration using mailsetup

I accidentally deleted /var/adm/sendmail and am trying to reconfigure sendmail. i get the error below. please help.

MAILSETUP CONFIGURATION COMPLETE

Do you wish to complete the installation? If you answer `yes',
the new configuration will replace `sendmail.cf', and sendmail
will be restarted.

Complete the setup ([y]/n) ? y

Restarting sendmail...
No pid for SMTP Mail Service found
-- Could not find running sendmail - attempting to restart...
No local mailer defined
No prog mailer defined
cannot chdir((null)): Bad address
SMTP Mail Service restarted
No local mailer defined
No prog mailer defined
cannot chdir((null)): Bad address
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Have you deleted the whole /var/adm/sendmail directory? If so, copy the directory from another system or restore from a backup, and then run mailsetup again.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hilda Mabhena
Advisor

i don't have a backup copy and am trying to configure from scratch using the mail configuration wizard. i want to know what the error message means and where exactly i define local mailer & prog mailer and what Bad address is refering to.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The problem is that mailsetup needs the m4 files in the /var/adm/sendmail directory to create the sendmail.cf configuration file. What is the content of the /var/adm/sendmail directory?

ls -la /var/adm/sendmail

The mailser specification is in the sendmail.cf file, you will see a section "Local, IMAP, and Program mailers" in the configuration file.

This error could be because the needed files to create the cf are not in the sendmail directory.

And the "cannot chdir" error maybe is because is trying to access the /var/adm/sendmail/cf directory and is not there.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hilda Mabhena
Advisor

when i run mailsetup there were no files in the sendmail directory, it required that sendmail.cf.pd be available to proceed so i created a blank sendmail.cf.pd and the following files were created on completion of the wizard.

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root adm 146 Jan 4 08:42 Makefile.cf.ZALMIMS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1 Jan 4 08:42 ZALMIMS.cf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root system 3838 Jan 4 08:42 ZALMIMS.m4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root adm 1 Jan 4 08:42 sendmail.cf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root adm 1 Jan 4 08:39 sendmail.cf.pd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1 Jan 4 08:39 sendmail.m4

and i get the error message above. From what you are saying if i could get a working sendmail.cf.pd file i could be home and dry. i'm running Dec Unix 4.1. anyone with a compatible sendmail.cf.pd?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Attached is a tar sendmail directory from a 4.0F.
Hilda Mabhena
Advisor

thanks just a few compilation errors to correct otherwise its now working.