New Discussion юеВ

Shrink filesystem size.

SOLVED
Go to solution
samsam001
Advisor

Shrink filesystem size.

Hi,

I am using 5.1B-4 with AdvFS on all filesystem.
I know I can use disklabel to change filesystem size on disk. But the server is a mission critical server and the shared disk is a SAN EVA6000. What tool I can use to reduce the size of the filesystem and guarantee not losing any data on the disk?

Thanks S
9 REPLIES 9
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Shrink filesystem size.

The only way to do it with guarantee not losing any data on the disk is to use "addvol" and "rmvol". You can do it online.
And that is the only way to do it online.
But you must have have license for Advfs utilities to be able to do it.
By the way, take a look at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
You did assigned points to 0 of 20 responses to your questions.
You will get more answers if you take some time to assign points.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
samsam001
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
I am not sure how you can use rmvol to clean up my existing filesystem:
oracle_dmn#dev 1258291200 237680291 203818296 54% /u01
oracle_dmn#tst 1258291200 816097499 203818296 81% /u04
As this filesystem is currently used by oracle. I can't shutdown this production Oracle in anyway. How does rmvol can shrink a advfs filesystem size without losing its data?

Thanks
Sam
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

rmvol only works if you have a domain with more than one disk configured on it, you can check how many disks forms a domain using the showfdmn command.

The rmvol command will remove a disk from a domain, and will sucess only if there is enough space on the remaining disks to hold all the data.

Maybe you have another options, what do you need to do? Why do you need to reduce the size of the file system? What is your goal?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
samsam001
Advisor

Hi,

The oracle_dmn only occupy one disk;
# showfdmn -k oracle_dmn

Id Date Created LogPgs Version Domain Name
45d8dee4.000742d6 Mon Feb 19 10:19:00 2007 512 4 oracle_dmn

Vol 1K-Blks Free % Used Cmode Rblks Wblks Vol Name
1L 1258291200 203818256 84% on 256 256 /dev/disk/dsk1c

I need to reduce its filesystem size because we are running out of disk space and the new TB storage disk is not arrived so soon. I need to reclaim about 400GB space from the current Oracle domain.

Thanks
Sam
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

I think you have one option here. Using addvol, you could add a new disk (say dsk10c) with space that you think is good enough for this domain. After that, use 'rmvol' to remove the existing disk from the domain. Both the commands work on mounted file system. No need to unmount the file system or reboot.
samsam001
Advisor

this is possible, but I think they won't bother to do it as this require the purchase of another TB disk. At the moment, we are ordering antoher TB disk, the add/rmvol will be useful by then.

Thanks
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Please note that an individual volume of size more than 1 TB is not supported by AdvFS. So, you could create a series of 1TB disks and add them to the AdvFS domain.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I am not sure how you can use rmvol to clean up my existing filesystem:
oracle_dmn#dev 1258291200 237680291 203818296 54% /u01
oracle_dmn#tst 1258291200 816097499 203818296 81% /u04

There is not 400GB to clean here.
u01 and u04, are filesets dev and tst both from the same domain oracle_dmn, and the avaiabel space shown on each line is the same space presented twice.

There is a total 200GB free in the domain, not 400.

How do you intent to use that free space?
Why not just create an other fileset in the domain and use that mountpoint for the needed expansion zone?

fwiw,
Hein.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

S,

what Hein suggests, is a good idea. In case you need the files in a certain directory, you can create a link to oracle_dmn
Otherwise do you have another domain, where you can rmvol one partition temporarily? If so add it to oracle_fdmn, rmvol the partition you want to split, split it and addvol the reduced partition and then move the temporary partition back to its original place.

greetings,

Michael