Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1751875 Members
5265 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Some Simple Tru64 Questions - Please Help!

Simon Hunt_1

Some Simple Tru64 Questions - Please Help!

Can anyone answer the following, I would be VERY grateful!

1. What it is the minimum spec machine I need to run Tru64?

2. What, typically, would such a machine/setup cost?

3. How much would it cost to purchase the Tru64 OS?

4. How long would it take to build the above?

Many thanks!

Si.
11 REPLIES 11
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Some Simple Tru64 Questions - Please Help!

Hi,

Sorry I can't be more specific, but here are some things that could help answer your questions (someone with more expertise might be able to be more specific):

1. It depends on which version and what you ultimately plan to do with it. For example, a desktop type setup would need graphics, mouse, keyboard, whereas if you want to run a large database server you probably want multiple, high-speed CPUs, lots of memory, and enough disk to suit.

2. It depends on #1 and also whether you want to buy new, HP remarketed, or "grey market" from a broker.

3. I don't know offhand; it's possible it won't cost anything (HP's HP-UX doesn't always cost).

4. There may be no "building" involved and it may depend on source. Typically, when I order a server from HP, there's no "building" involved beyond hooking up peripherals. But if you order pieces, then yes, you have to put it together.

You might be able to find some resources here:

http://www.tru64.org/

http://search.hp.com/gwuseng/query.html?la=en&qt=tru64&col=hpcom+ccen+ccenfor

Tru64 is being phased out; this may make hardware cheaper.

HTH,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I assume, you will want to run 5.1B. The supported hardware can be seen here:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10513_div/10513_div.HTML#Supported%20Hardware

2. More details please. How much power,storage etc?

3. Look here: http://www.hpaq.net/

4. Initial Installation+Patching 2h. More depending on the complexity of software/hardware components.

Michael
Simon Hunt_1

Thanks guys, this at least gives me some leads! I've never been to this forum before but this is a real big help! Cheers!

I'll see if I can expand upon my questions tomorrow to get some more info, in the meantime if anyone else can add anything to the replies already given then I'd be very grateful! I have a tight deadline on this (got to be done by Friday morning!) so it really is appreciated!

Calling all experts out there!

Si.
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Simon,

If this is for business, I would suggest that you contact HP sales and ask your account rep to call on you ASAP. I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.

HP also has a number of local and national resellers who'd be happy to help you. I don't know netiquette for posting names of such here; if you're really interested in reseller contacts, say so and I'll risk the ire of our fellows to post some (then they can tell me if it's wrong :).

Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Simon Hunt_1

Ok, assuming I wanted a basic setup, nothing too flash, but I wanted to buy new, i.e not reseller.

What is the minimum spec PC I'd need, and how much would it cost me? And how long to set up?

Cheers all once again, this is a big help! I'll be a popular with the colleague whom I'm collecting information for tomorrow!

Si.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Simon,

Tru64 is only running on Alpha machines not on PC's. 5.1B requires a machine starting from 400 Mhz with 256MB memory. 2 GB of diskspace is enough for the base system.

Installation can be done within 1-2 hours.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Simon Hunt_1

Thanks Ralf! That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Now, as an estimate, how much do you reckon it would cost to purchase the setup you just described if I was to go out and buy it today (either new or second's)?

Si.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ralf,

I was everwhere for the list prices for Alpha hardware. You would think, a company which wants to sell, has this on their website! This configuration programme, does it include those prices? Is it available for download somewhere?

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

you got it! The conclusion is within your answer ;-)

Ask your local vendor for prices or have a look into ebay...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }