Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange df -h output

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Strange df -h output

Hi. Last night I received an alert of one of our server indicating that one of our filesystem was full. I then proceeded to log in the system to see what was happening and did a: df -h and here's the output that I got in the filesystems that were full:

Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on
root_domain#root 2837M 245M 2585M 9% /
oasis#oasis 8681M 1848M 0 100% /oasis
oasis#u01 8681M 405M 0 100% /u01
oasis#transact 8681M 6460M 0 100% /transact

See how the Size, and Used doesn't correspond to the Available and Capacity columns. I wonder what could be happening here since I nothing is running on this server and I already checked for files newer and bigger and found nothing. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Strange df -h output

The last three file systems share one AdvFS
domain ("oasis#"). 1848+ 405+ 6460 = 8713,
which is at least 100% of 8681.

It looks full to me.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Yes, even though the last three are different filesystems, they all belong to the same AdvFS domain 'oasis' and draw their storage from the same volume.
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Doh!, I should have see that. I will have to learn a litle bit more about Unix filesystem. Thanks again guys!