7626 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Switch to Gnome from CDE

Julian Constantin
Occasional Contributor

Switch to Gnome from CDE

Hi everyone,
This may sound really simple to most of you but here it is anyway - have installed gnome1.4 on a DS10 running T64 V5.1 from a genuine T64 Portability Tools CD matching the OS (rpm binaries).
After installing the Desktop Manager rpm, which includes the wmchooser.tcl script and creating a start-gnome script (my rpm distribution did not include one but newer rpms of dskman seem to include a start-gnome script) and re-logging back in, the WMchooser window comes up and I can select the Gnome option.
At this stage, after clicking the OK button, my Xmanager(Windows Xserver) closes down and nothing happens.

I can start a Gnome session while running CDE, and all the Gnome apps seem to work OK (not very useful or smart/efficient but it proves that a Gnome session can initiate).

I have tried to modify the start-gnome script to start "sawfish" as my window manager before starting the gnome-session but still no result.

Also, if I login with a Safe Session, I can then start Gnome with my start-gnome script (it only executes gnome-session) but that's using mwm as a window manager so it's not a very eye "pleasing" experience :-)

Any ideas what am I doing wrong ? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Julian C
2 REPLIES 2
Julian Constantin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Switch to Gnome from CDE

Forgot to add extra info, the start-gnome script is using :

gnome-session --disable-sound

to get around sound card issues.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Switch to Gnome from CDE

Please open a call within the gnome website for assistence or help. Gnome is not a supported application of HP.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }