Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syslog default logging severity level

Chan SK
Occasional Visitor

Syslog default logging severity level

Dear all,
I am quite new to Tru64. If I haven't specified the logging severity level on syslog.conf entry, what level it will log by default?

E.g.
kern,user /var/adm/syslog/test.log

What logging severity level will be used for kern and user? I am using verion 5.1

Many thanks,
SK
3 REPLIES
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

Re: Syslog default logging severity level

This is controlled by syslog.conf (which has its own reference page for further details). The default values in 5.1B are:

kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log
user.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/user.log
mail.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/mail.log
daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log
auth.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/auth.log
syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log
lpr.err /var/adm/syslog.dated/lpr.log

msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash/msgbuf.savecore

kern.debug /var/adm/messages
kern.debug /dev/console

Martin
I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

Chan SK
Occasional Visitor

Hello Martin,

Thanks. I am actually checking a system which is installed by other people. I discover they have set something like below.

kern,user,syslog;*.info /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

May I know what level the kern, user and syslog will log? I suppose the debug level?

Thanks again.
SK
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

>kern,user,syslog;*.info /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

OK, I've looked into this a little further, and it doesn't appear that the behavior is defined if the severity level is omitted. I suspect that you'll get nothing for kern, user, and syslog in this case (unless there's a subsequent entry for them in syslog.conf). If you want those facilities to log debug and higher, I'd change the line to:

kern,user,syslog.debug;*.info /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Also, it looks like you might wind up with a very large syslog.log file with this specification.

Hope this helps,
Martin
I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details