4433 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Backups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michele Carbone

System Backups

I have an Alpha 2100 with a 4mm tape drive and a full system backup that runs every Sunday evening. Lately, the backups have been failing because there is no room left on that tape and there are no prompts to insert another tape to continue. Is there someway to force a prompt when the tape has reached it's end? I have been asking to upgrade the tape drive to a DLT but until that happens I still need good COMPLETE backups. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
13 REPLIES 13
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

let me ask you a few questions.

1. what os release and what device are you using?
2. Do you have another machine, where you can rcp or use it's tape to backup to?

Michael
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

One possibility is to change the software you're using for backups. You didn't mention what you're using; possibilities might include tar, dump, fbackup, amanda, etc. I realize changing software mid-stream is not the best, but it might help you get the backups done.

Another possibility is to split the backup into pieces; this would require someone to change tapes. For example, back up / /usr /var on one tape, then /home /var on another tape.

HTH,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

if a tape will be requested if the current tape will be full depends on the used backup software.

So please share this information with us, maybe there are some hints within your software.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Alexey Borchev
Regular Advisor

I hope You are doing backup with vdump command.
Because:
1) It's included in OS - so you'll find it on your boot CD in case of ...
2) It's recommended by Digital

The vdump command has option -C - i.e. software compression, which is done by server CPU.
See man vdump.
This worked well for me.
I's typically better than hardware compression, used by streamer itself.

On the other hand, it will consume lots of CPU power and can slow down backup.

The fire follows shedule...
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm...
Is the 4m tape drive just a single one, or you can insert multiple tapes in?
Use the /dev/nrmt0h and use the -C parameter, they will compress the data.
Try cleaning the drives of unwanted files, or just attend to the backup and split the mount points into 2 different tapes

Mohamed
Michele Carbone

Thank you everyone for your input. From what I've read I have determined there is no way, via the vdump command, to prompt for a second tape. I ran using vdump on /dev/nrmt0h with -C option already. I've already cleaned up what I could. My last choice is to split the backups into two seperate jobs.

Thank You again for the quick responses. I appreciate the help!
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Just curious..
Can't you use
mt -f /dev/nrmt0h offline?
Michele Carbone

Mohammad,

I am not a Tru64 guru, not even a UNIX guru! I assumed these roles when they canned the UNIX administrator because I have a little UNIX knowledge. I am at a loss with the command you mention. If you can clarify for me I'd be willing to give it a shot!
What I have proceeded to do is split the backups into two and then edit the cron job to run them at different times.
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

OK,
The command mt used to manipulate the tape in a tape drive.
I don't know about your tape drive if it can accept these commands or not, but it is worth a try.
You can move the tape to begining of any save set, you can order the tape to dismount. The command mt offline dismount the tape in use and loads the second tape in the magazine.
This also depends of your tape drive. I did not use the 4mm tape drives before, but this command is very nice with the DLT drives.

check man page for the command mt by entering the command man mt
If everything is set correctly, you can split the backup into multiple tapes without attending to it.

let me know if you have any questions.