Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753584 Members
6307 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System crashes whenever we cleanup unused devices...!

Greg Yates
Valued Contributor

Baalki,

I took a little time and tried to find something for you. The good news is I found a case just like yours in V5.1(no letter) that was fixed with a patch. The bad news is that the patch is already in V5.1A PK4 (your release, iirc). That means your problem must be slightly different than what was fixed at V5.1. I'm assuming here that you have all of the patch kit installed. In other words, there weren't dependencies that prevented certain patches from being installed. You can check your /var/adm/patch/log log-files to verify.

My advice is 1) update to the latest patch kit since there are some hwmgr/dsfmgr fixes that you don't have and/or 2) file a case with the Support Center. Just a reminder, standard support for V5.1A has ended but Prior Version Support does exists. The support center will help even if you don't have PVS. But if you need an engineering fix (new code) you'll need PVS. So give us a call.

I'm still looking for a patch for V5.1A. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Greg
Greg Yates
Valued Contributor

One more bit of advice. If the hardware database isn't causing a problem, leave it alone until you update to the latest patch kit. :)

Greg
Yong_7
Frequent Advisor

nice Greg.

baalki, it's time to log a call to HP.

that's the official way to get CSP. ( customer specific patch ).

Good Luck !

YJ
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

I've had some crashes if I used the wrong device within the command. So to be sure you used the correct syntax and id post the output of the hardware database and the name of the device you try to delete (this was an suggestion by another forum member but never answered).

If the command and device seems to be correct then follow the other route to solve your problem....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Baalki,

Did you, while installing patchkit #4, ignore de warning that you had a file conflict with a security patch in PK#4, and did you then continue installing only just the remaining patches ??
If yes, then the patch that should have cured this panic is NOT installed.

To check this, examine the /var/adm/patch/log/session.log.x file with the date of PK#4 installation.

Johan.

_JB_