4694 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System hangs during v.51B installation

Ozan Baltaci
Occasional Contributor

System hangs during v.51B installation

Hi,
I was trying to install Tru64 UNIX v5.1B to Alphaserver DS20 and Alphaserver 1200 at the same time. First I made a firmware upgrade to both servers with Firmware 6.5 CD.

On DS20 side everything was fine. I installed the operating system and patched with patch_kit2. But on 1200 side I had a problem. When I boot the system from CD and X server starts (English installation, Chineese installation..etc menu occurs) the mouse does not move and keyboard does not work. But when I boot from local disk (the earlier OS is 4.0F) they work. ??s this a firmware problem or something? Did I make a mistake by upgrading the firmware? Can a downgrade be a solution? Or any other idea?
Thanks..
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hello,

I would not think firmware off the bat, unless your questioning the recent update using 6.5 CD.

Check to make sure the SRM environment variable CONSOLE is set to GRAPHICS, if SERIAL then is is expecting input from the serial console. (example: >>> show console)

If the CONSOLE variable is GRAPHICS then...

Re-attempt the install and when you get the message that it's "Starting X Server", enter C and or D a few times to see if you can get it to exit out of the install startup script. Once out of the script you should get a # prompt - then enter "restart nogui" to start the installation without using the gui.

Oh, if you are using a keyboard/mouse switch box between the system and the keyboard/mouse - make sure to have the switch set to this system prior to powering on the system. Maybe reset the switch prior to the power cycle. Or try removing the switch out of the configuration.

Regards,
Dave Bechtold
Ozan Baltaci
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your answer,
I checked the console variable already and it has been set to GRAPHICS. And there is no mouse-keyboard switch.
So I see that I have no choice..I have to install OS without using GUI.
Thanks again..
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

The 1200 requires a ecu startup for a proper firmware update. Be sure you have started the ecu und selected "save and exit".

Also check if the boot device is set to "", otherwise v5.x systems tries to read the hardware database from local disks.
(see also installation guide for proper console variables)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

BTW: Check if the onboard graphic adapter is set to "enabled" during ecu setup!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }