108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TRU 64 Printing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Campbell_5
Occasional Advisor

TRU 64 Printing

I am having a problem with my printing setup on my Tru 64 system. I am new to this environment so any help would be appreciated.

We currently have 13 printers that are printing remotely from this server. The problem is that whenever any of the 13 printers is unplugged for any reason this stops the print jobs to the other servers. When this happens I have to restart the spooler to get the jobs to print.

Is there any way to get around this issue? We really only need our two main printers running all the time. Is using a different port for those two printers an option?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Dave, I'm currently running a 4.0D box that has 20+ remote printers attached. Whenever I unplug any of these printers when I'm having issues, the first thing I do is to 'disable and down' the queue to minimize any issues with the spooler:

lpc disable queuename
lpc down queuename

Once I've brought the printer back online, I then bring up and re-enable the queue:

lpc up queuename
lpc enable queuename

HTH,

Mike-
Knowledge Is Power
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

What version of Tru64 are you using?
Which patchkit is installed?
Are all the printers connected to the same printserver?
What does /var/adm/syslog.dated/current/lpr.log say about the time one of the printers is down?
Could you please post one of the printcap entries?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Campbell_5
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for taking so long to reply. It has been a busy week.

To answer your questions:
We are running 5.1A.

I am unsure what patchkit we have. I try the dupatch command and it says command not found and I'm not sure exactly how to find this info.

We have different print servers for the servers.(servers are at various locations)

Here is the output from lpr.log. Many entries like this one. This was caused by somebody unplugging the printer.
Jun 13 21:18:13 hostname lpd[74952]: INFO -- openpr: getport() failed, have alre
ady waited 18175 seconds for 192.168.107.87 to come up

Here is an entry from the printcap
hp-office|lp1: :lf=/usr/adm/hp-office-err: :lp=: :rm=192.168.0.33: :rp=TEXT: :sd=/usr/spool/hp-office: :sh:

Thanks,
Dave
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

have a look to /var/adm/patches/log. If you grep for T64 within the logs you will get the patchkit id.

In previous versions there was the same problem with printing, failing if one printer was stalled or waiting for paper. Be sure you have installed the latest patchkit to fix this issue.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Dave,

The dupatch command comes with the patchkit.
So, if you have the "command not found" error, I believe that no patchkit is installed.
Or, you do not have /usr/sbin in your PATH variable.

If you want to know the installed patchkits, you can use following command.
# /usr/sbin/dupatch -track -type kit

Anyway, in attachment you have a readme of the latest patchkit. It contains also it's network location.

Joris

To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Woops,

The links in the attachment are not yet OK.
You need the t64v51ab21as0004-20030206.* files in
ftp://ftp.support.compaq.com/public/Digital_UNIX/v5.1a

Joris
To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
Dave Campbell_5
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all for your help. Looks like all I need is the install the latest patchkit.