Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753946 Members
8319 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Time of year (TOY) clock battery problem??

Time of year (TOY) clock battery problem??

Hi All!

This is the first time I post a question at ITRC...since it helped me some many times before only reading other's people posts, I thought why not write one!

I have a 2 node ES40 cluster running Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1B (Rev. 2650). One of the members (member0), rebooted itself a coupple of times in the past 2 months. I used WEBES to analyze binary.errlog but did not see anything serious/strange.

However, in /var/adm/messages I found this:

Nov 18 00:35:18 lito vmunix: panic (cpu 1): ics_unable_to_make_progress: input thread stalled
Nov 18 00:35:18 lito vmunix: syncing disks... done
Nov 18 00:35:18 lito vmunix: WARNING: Time of year (TOY) clock battery is dead
Nov 18 00:35:18 lito vmunix: drd: Clean Shutdown

Could anyone kindly tell me if this "TOY clock battery" could cause a memeber to reboot.
TOY clock battery can generate a panic CPU message?

The other member of the cluster seems completely fine.

Thank you very much for your help in advanced!! Please let me know if anything else is needed in order to make a diagnosis.

KR.

Flako
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Time of year (TOY) clock battery problem??

Hi,

this seems to be addressed in patch kit 5.

greetings,

Michael

Addresses two potential causes of various ics timeout panics, such as "ics_unable_to_make_progress: input tread" and "ics_unable_to_make_progress: netisrs stalled."
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

The TOY message is unrelated to the panic. You get this message when the TOY clock registered are accessed and the kernel determines that it's state is not valid (e.g. battery is dead). Well... once out of every 1000 times the kernel accesses the registers.

So it looks like you should have the battery replaced or the TOY clock fixes. Otherwise the system will lose time between reboots.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

The system would have displayed the TOY error even without the 'panic'. So, I think you have two problems to fix here, the foremost being the 'panic' error.

Michael, Han and BL:
Thank you very very much for your posts. I am affraid I can not upgrade this platform to PK5 yet in order to solve the ICS problem, but I will have the TOY clock battery replaced.