Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752594 Members
3090 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Tru64 4.0f ES40 w/KZPCC-AC RAID controller AdvFS Recovery.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven8
Collector

Tru64 4.0f ES40 w/KZPCC-AC RAID controller AdvFS Recovery.

We have an ES40 that lost 2 RAID drives and we are trying to recover our AdvFS volumes.

We are having no luck rectifiying the situation due to our inexperience with this O/S and fading support online.  At this point we are trying to run LSM on our server to configure the new RAID device as a volume and it says it is not installed or not configured properly.  We found online that rebuilding the kernel may fix that issue.  It did not.

So it appears that LSM was not used to setup this RAID/Volume initially then.  So how is this done on Tru64 v4.0f?  How do I setup a volume and create the AdvFS  so it can me mounted?

Please let me know if you need any more details about system and I be glad to provide.

Thanks                                                sjs

1 REPLY 1
Steven8
Collector
Solution

Re: Tru64 4.0f ES40 w/KZPCC-AC RAID controller AdvFS Recovery.

We were successful in partitioning the RAID5 disk, creating the File Sets and mounting them.  I wanted to answer my own post since it has not received any other solutions.

After replacing the flagged "Failed" drives and the RAID Controller (KZPCC-AC) we recreated the RAID5.  Booted the known good O/S Hard Drive with Tru64 4.0f.  Logged in which stated the CDE (Common Desktop Environment - GUI).  Launched the System _Admin tool from Appliation Manager (icon-file drawer with tools haning out of it in lower right side of launch bar).  Opened Configuation icon and then Disk icon.  After it read the devices selected our second disk/device and clicked on Configure button.  Choose to partition the whole drive as one partition, C, and selected type as AdvFS.  Left all other fields blank.  Clicked on Create and it did it.

Rebooted the server and let it discover the new AdvFS partition.  Recreated the AdvFS domain using the following command:

mkfdmn -o DRIVETYPE /dev/RAWDEVICE DOMAINNAME

-o switch overwrites current name.

where DRIVETYPE is your Hard Disk or RAID contorller (ours was i2o_bs and was dislpayed in the Disk utility above).

where RAWDEVICE is your device name minus one "r"  (our was ri2c and was derived from the device rri2 and we put the "c" partition on it.)

where DOMAINNAME is your domain name usually "xxxxxxx_dmn".

You can verify this by using the "showdfmn DOMAINNAME" command.

Create the file sets by using the following command(s) depending on how many file sets you need to create, just repeat the commnad.

mkfset DOMAINNAME FSNAME

where DOMAINNAME is your domain name usually "xxxxxxx_dmn".

where FSNAME is the name you desire for your File Set.

You can verify this by using the "showfsets DOMAINNAME" command.

We attempted to continue wtih making mount points but we'er unsuccessful.  Tryed using the mkdir command.  However, once we rebooted the AdvFS mounted, probablly due to the fact that the O/S Tru64 disk had "known" about them in the past most likely had them listed in /etc/fdms file or somewhere and mounted them.

So we were successful and copied our data from a back up on another unix box.  We never used the LSM.

Thanks                                                       sjs