Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748287 Members
3106 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 5.1B Full File System restore

Benjamin Schmaus_1

Tru64 5.1B Full File System restore

If my system fails and I have to do a full blown restore of all filesystem, how do I do this. Please be specific in how you boot into single user off the install cd.
11 REPLIES 11
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Your short question requires a very large answer. Much similar to asking General Motor 'Please tell me how to service my 92 Pontiac'.
About a book full is needed to deal with it in such generic terms. Fortunately those books have beend written. So please take a moment and read those manuals (that's what we all did!). Then please feel free to come back with specific, detailed question for items that were not described clearly enough.

Cheers,
Hein.

Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi

Tru64 doen't give any specific tool like make_tape_recovery in hp-ux and makesysb in AIX. you should have backup of all filesystems and a copy of file systems structure (sizes,mount points).

if system fails, reinstall the OS and create the filesystems as noted in the copy and restore from backup.

This is the procedure i follow for all my tru64 systems
never give up
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

this procedure is well documented in detail within the admin guide.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Benjamin Schmaus_1

I read that documentation. I guess I was looking for something smiliar to a Solaris restore procedure. Usually when a system is down, you want to restore the system as quickly as possible. I guess I don;t see how reinstalling the OS and restoring from tape is the quickest. But from what your telling me that is the Tru64 way.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH9FETE/TITLE.HTM

The admin guide describes all variants of possible restore operations. If you have a valid backup it is very easy to restore a system.

Boot CD-ROM, generate tape device and restore to old location. Finish.

Another approach is to generate a boottape....

so what are you looking for?

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

boot cd-rom
create new partitions for the system disk
initialize system disk
go to unix shell
create special files for the tape drive
restore from the tape drive to new system disk
shutdown
boot from new system disk

Mohamed
Benjamin Schmaus_1

Okay, I booted from the cdrom (boot dka400 -fl s) and I got to a shell. Then when I triedx to fo a MAKEDEV (tape device), it would not allow me to. I am assuming this is because the cdrom is the only mount and not read/write. I think this is the piece I am stuck on. Once I get the tape device recognized, it is easy to mount the disks and do a vrestore.
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Do it like you are doing a new installation for the system disk/system.
do not boot single user mode, just boot from the OS CD, then go through the menu to create the partitions, file domains and file sets, then when you are done, there is a button to go to "Unix Shell", when you reach the cell, follow the procedure for installation and create the special files for the tape drive, then restore your /, /usr and /var file sets to the new created system disk.

Before you make any of this, make sure you have a good backup of the system disk /, /usr and /var directories, make sure to create the partitions big enough to accomodate the sizes that you have already.

The procedure is documented well, you should use it to help you go through this.

HTH

MO
Yong_7
Frequent Advisor

Benjamin,

here you go.

# /sbin/dn_setup -install_tape

have a look bootable tape.

# man btcreate

Solaris Hardware management is bad.
hopefully, new HP-UX has good sense of that.

Cheers !

YJ