New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 How to change date in clustered environment

SOLVED
Go to solution
Saszaly
Advisor

Tru64 How to change date in clustered environment

Hi Guys,

What is the proper way to update/change date/time in clustered environment?

Why after 2 weeks later, the date/time is having delayed? Our server always having 15-20mins delayed compare to the real time.

The server is Alphaserver GS1280 and clustered with ES45. 5.1B
15 REPLIES 15
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 How to change date in clustered environment

Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

The best way is to use external NTP server.
If not possible, do like explained in doc provided by Venkatesh.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Saszaly
Advisor

Hi,

Thankyou for your reply. Anyway im not having problem to synchronize among the clustered server. The only problem is our application depends on real time.. since the server's time is delayed by 20 minutes. How can i change the date? I thought we need to boot to single user mode first? Since this is clustered environment, im a bit confused on the procedure.
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Hi
Why after 2 weeks later, the date/time is having delayed? >>u must be having problem with SYNCRONIZATION.

as you said ur server runs on real system so you will have to check what is the impact to time change on that.
In case of oracle u can increase time without any harm.
U change the time if ur application permit on one server and then sync time of other server with xntp.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Saszaly
Advisor

Hi Kapil,

Let me rephrase my situation.

We do not have/use external ntp server.
The date/time on both servers (clustered) is exactly the same. Synchronization among members is working fine.

One of HP technical who installed the OS and cluster before said to me the issue was because of system clock calculation in the kernel/OS (if im not mistaken).

So right now i need to change server's date setting. I know how to do it if the server is stand alone, but clustered environment im clueless. should i bring down the first node and set the new date/time there and then sync them again or should i bring down the 2nd node to set the date/time after the 1st node is up?

Impact to application is not the main issue since it will be done after working hours. The application will be shutdown first. Same goes for the database.

So rather than keep changing the server's date according to real time, is there anyway the server's time will not be delayed beside using external ntp server? any patch related to this issue?

Thank you in advance :)
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

If application and database are down, you do not have to shutdown any member.
Just be fast enough and execute command on both server "at the (almost) same time.
Saszaly
Advisor

Hi Vladimir,

Thats what we did all this while, but i thought it was not recommended by HP? the proper way was to boot to single user mode, probably to avoid any damage to database/application. am i right?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

You can not damage database or application when they are not running, so do not worry.
I never did switching to single user mode when doing such a thing and never had any problem with OS.
Just be sure that database and applications are not running.
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

I did same thing changed time in 8 server at a time , no need to boot if application is down go ahead and do as stated above.
BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......