Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tru64 O/S version 5

Mary Gilmore
Occasional Visitor

Tru64 O/S version 5

I have a machine that has Tru64 O/S version 5.1A, with the TruCluster Server software license installed. I want to remove the TruCluster Server software. Do I need to re-install the O/S? Can I install version 5.1 of the O/S or do I need to downgrade to version 4.0 of the O/S and upgrade to v5.1? What level of effort is it to re-install the O/S?
Thanks for any information!
none
4 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 O/S version 5

The easiest way is to use the cluster creation disk (Installation system) as standalone system. It is a preconfigured, standalone system on a local disk and works without intervention.

Installation of the whole system is also not a complicated issue. Boot the installation CD and follow the questions, overwriting the existing filesystems. Be sure to install the latest patches from the ftp server.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hi Mary,

Regarding your specific questions...

> Do I need to re-install the O/S?

Yes, building a TruCluster is a oneway setup / configuration.

> Can I install version 5.1 of the O/S or do I need to downgrade to version 4.0 of the O/S and upgrade to v5.1?

Yes, you can install V5.1 w/o having to install v4.0 then upgrading. In fact, v5.1a, v5.1b (current) are full distributions and can be installed without having to upgrade.

> What level of effort is it to re-install the O/S?

As Ralph stated previously - it's pretty straightforward. Please reference the desired version of the Operating System documentation online at the following Web address, more specifically the Installation Guide under the System & Network Management Documentation Book Shelf.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/pub_page/doc_list.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave Bechtold

Just a point of clarification here.

Mary did NOT say that she was running in a cluster, only that she had the software installed. Of course, one assumes that a cluster was actually created, but since installing the software on a stand-alone node is the first step, it is possible that she had not invoked clu_create.

If she is in that state, having never created a cluster nor booted into one, then she should be able to simply de-install the TruCluster subsets and remove the license from the database.

-Derek
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

thanks for this hint!

That's the reason why a detailed problem description is important (including version, history, patches etc) ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }