Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748256 Members
3889 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 O/S version 5

Mary Gilmore

Tru64 O/S version 5

I have a machine that has Tru64 O/S version 5.1A, with the TruCluster Server software license installed. I want to remove the TruCluster Server software. Do I need to re-install the O/S? Can I install version 5.1 of the O/S or do I need to downgrade to version 4.0 of the O/S and upgrade to v5.1? What level of effort is it to re-install the O/S?
Thanks for any information!
none
4 REPLIES 4
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 O/S version 5

The easiest way is to use the cluster creation disk (Installation system) as standalone system. It is a preconfigured, standalone system on a local disk and works without intervention.

Installation of the whole system is also not a complicated issue. Boot the installation CD and follow the questions, overwriting the existing filesystems. Be sure to install the latest patches from the ftp server.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hi Mary,

Regarding your specific questions...

> Do I need to re-install the O/S?

Yes, building a TruCluster is a oneway setup / configuration.

> Can I install version 5.1 of the O/S or do I need to downgrade to version 4.0 of the O/S and upgrade to v5.1?

Yes, you can install V5.1 w/o having to install v4.0 then upgrading. In fact, v5.1a, v5.1b (current) are full distributions and can be installed without having to upgrade.

> What level of effort is it to re-install the O/S?

As Ralph stated previously - it's pretty straightforward. Please reference the desired version of the Operating System documentation online at the following Web address, more specifically the Installation Guide under the System & Network Management Documentation Book Shelf.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/pub_page/doc_list.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave Bechtold
Derek Haining
Advisor

Just a point of clarification here.

Mary did NOT say that she was running in a cluster, only that she had the software installed. Of course, one assumes that a cluster was actually created, but since installing the software on a stand-alone node is the first step, it is possible that she had not invoked clu_create.

If she is in that state, having never created a cluster nor booted into one, then she should be able to simply de-install the TruCluster subsets and remove the license from the database.

-Derek
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

thanks for this hint!

That's the reason why a detailed problem description is important (including version, history, patches etc) ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }