[syslogd] <---
/usr/sbin/mountd -i
or
/usr/sbin/binlogd
/usr/sbin/syslogd <---
/usr/sbin/mountd -i

Why this different output?
Is the 'ps' problem? Solved by patch?
Excuse me for my bad english, but i'm italian :)

Thank's
Bye Michele

P.S.: I attached the command output of 'dupatch -track -type kit'(dupatch.kit.log) and 'dupatch -track -type patch' output command (dupatch.patch.log); for full software details.

--
Michele Vecchiato
|_|0|_| <>
|_|_|0| <>
|0|0|0|
5 REPLIES 5
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: [Tru64/OSF1]: Random output of 'ps' command

I don't think this is a problem and that it was fixed. PS outputs this way, when it cannot retrieve complete info about the process from the kernel.
Michele Vecchiato

Thank you for answer, but i give more info of "ps command output" here [1].My problem is more "similar" of this [2].

1.http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=236361
2.http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=316607

by
Michele

P.S.: Excuse me, my first question is not very good... ;)
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

What is your OS/patch version?. Looks like the kernel problem was fixed in V5.1B-PK2.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Michele,

[No need to excuse: Your English is much better than my italian :-]

Osf V5.1 build 732 is old stuff. Many years of work have gone into Tru64 since. Please consider going to a more recent version, no matter how up tp date your patches are.

Thanks for looking around at prior similar reports. Too few folks do.

your reference [1] suggests there is a patch.

Your reference [2] suggests that you are not too concerned with the [name] output, but perhaps more with a method of reliably parsing ps -eo args output.

So why don't we focus on that: The old question... what problem are your really trying to solve.

Maybe show a [partial] script ?
Maybe show sample input and desired results/output?
If spaces/tabs are potentiall important then please include the data in an attached .txt file (zip is not really needed for modes files).

hth,
\Hein.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Michele,

It's like Hein said. A combination of things.

There were (I believe two) patches that fix the issue that caused the brackets to appear around the process name. But I believe thise patches were specific to later patch kits. They may not even apply to the release that you are running.

In addition it is always possible that this happens for a very short period of time. The brackets are just an indication that the "ps" command (the table() system call actually) couldn't get to some of the data structures (typically because they are locked or paged out). This is not a bug. This is just the way UNIX works.

If you let us know, as Hein suggests, what the problem is that you are trying to solve, we can probably help you.