New Discussion юеВ

Tru64 V5.1B-4 CD and NHD7

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Tru64 V5.1B-4 CD and NHD7

Hi all,
I have a CD kit December 2006. The Operating System CD is V5.1B-4. This kit also includes a CD labeled NHD7 V5.1B-4 Dec 2006. Is the NHD7 funtionality included in the Operating System build on the bootable opsys CD ?
For instance if I had a Smartarray 5300A ( which needs NHD7 to function ) would the Smartarray disks be seen when booting to install the operating system from fresh ?
Regards.
========
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Tru64 V5.1B-4 CD and NHD7

>>> s the NHD7 funtionality included in the Operating System build on the bootable opsys CD ?

No

>> Would the Smartarray disks be seen when booting to install the operating system from fresh ?

Yes, but you need to boot with an option that will prompt you to insert the NHD7 CD.

boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC"

See:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/nhd/NHD7/nhd_notes.pdf
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks Ivan,
So to take that a little further, if I lost a system disk which is on a Smartarray can I boot from the V5.1B-4 CD without having to use NHD7, see the Smartarray disks and then restore from tape ?
Regards,
John.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

No. You still need both CD's, do the same procedure to boot until you reach the installation screen and select "unix shell" to perform the restore.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks again Ivan,

So I still need to go through the convoluted NHD7 bootup to do the restore. Hopefully the next version of the CD will have NHD7 included. ( Thats if there is another release !!!! ).
Regards,
John.
=======
DCBrown
Frequent Advisor

The patch kit has all the latest bits. The NHD kit actually hasn't really changed since NHD5 or so. The latest patch kit bits get folded into the NHD upon each release.

The two issues I recall that NHD is still needed for are DS15s and Smart Arrays as native support wasn't in the base V5.1B kit. The base kit is installed first before the latest patch kit rolls the incremental changes on top as part of the install process. You can, for instance, boot off the genvmunix from the patch kit since all the bits are there. The NHD process gets around the issue of not having the h/w support in the base kit bits.
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Hi DC.

From your reply can I assume that if I boot from the V5.1B-4 CD using /genvmunix, the system will see the Smartarray disks and then I can vrestore using the shell without using NHD7 ?
( after doing dn_setup -install_tape )

Thanks,
John.
=======

John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Question mostly answered.
Thanks to all.