4832 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tru64 advfs / disklabel question

sgparker
Occasional Advisor

Tru64 advfs / disklabel question

OK, I really messed up tonight.

Probably knew but forgot Tru64 5.1B-4 had limitation of 1TB volume, I went and expanded my PRD vdisk on an EVA8000 to 1300GB (from 1050GB), ran the process on TRU64 to scan scsi, disklabel -rw and mount -u -o extend /filesystem.

Have done this many times without erroring before so am thinking its the limitation I have hit.

Error occurred when mount extending:
# mount -u -o extend /epic/prd/app
mount: Extending AdvFS file system...
prd#app on /epic/prd/app: No space left on device
This is from kern.log:
epic2 vmunix: The attempt to extend the virtual disk /dev/disk/dsk3c failed.

I am pretty sure I can reduce the vdisk on the EVA back to the 1050GB in size.
Can I safely just disklabel again and try mounting?

Would it be better to reduce EVA vdisk to like 1052GB and doing the scan scsi, disklabel -rw and mount -u -o extend process again?

I do have a copy of the old disklabel and I am still up and running but the new disklabel shows the 1300GB(dsk3c).

Thanks for any advice,
Steve
9 REPLIES 9
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmm, the doc and man pages only talk about extending/expanding, not shrinking.

I suspect, and hope for you, that the -o extend action failed immediately without making changes. In that case, a new disklabel should do the trick.

I would first fo back to the size before the physical expansion, just to see whether you can access the data again. I would try that by restoring the old disklabel, before trying to tell the EVA to shrink.

Which EVA / VCS version?
HP StorageWorks Command View EVA Software v7.0 suggests that it is the first version to offer schrinking. If so, you would have lost a few hundred GB untill you can completely create a new volume, copy or shadow to become a mirror and drop the 1300GB lun.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/cmdvieweva/index.html
"Command View Software now supports LUN shrink capability, giving you more flexibility in managing Vdisks"

Good luck!
Hein.

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

Last thing I heard, LUN shrinking was only supported on Windows 2003 and Longhorn.

What version of XCS are you running on your EVA ?

Cheers,

Rob
sgparker
Occasional Advisor

EVA8000 running XCS6.110 and Command View 6.02
It doesn't look like the expansion ever occured on the AdvFS side, puts me in a limbo state with a disklabel that reflects the larger 1300GB disk.
Looking to get more input before I change anything.

Thanks,
Steve
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

I'm fairly certain you can't reduce the size of a vdisk on those versions.

The logical thing to do, assuming you've got spare disk space, would be to create another two Vdisks of say 1TB and 300GB in size then addvol them to the existing domain. Then rmvol dsk3c.

Of course, it's a fairly big assumption that you've got 1.3TB of space free...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> Error occurred when mount extending:
>>> # mount -u -o extend /epic/prd/app
>>> mount: Extending AdvFS file system...
>>>prd#app on /epic/prd/app: No space left on device

I had the same problem once. I was able to extend the file system by first umounting the file system, and then mount with -o extend:

umount /epic/prd/app
mount -o extend /epic/prd/app
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

And also, welcome to the forum.

Please don't forget to assign points to the answers you get. For mor information see:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I would not say you can reduce the vdisk on the EVA back to the 1050GB in size.
Also not sure advfs is able to do it.
Anyway, do NOT play with data without backup.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
jim owens_1
Valued Contributor

I would be interested to see the current disklabel -r values.

I don't think the original disklabel can be restored while the vdisk says it is 1300GB because "c" must match sectors/unit. I don't think it would hurt to try, it will just fail.

As previously noted, the mount extend failed so advfs is not using the space beyond the original 1050GB. Advfs records the volume size on the volume so it will only use the first 1050GB unless an extend succeeds.

Shrinking the EVA vdisk using command view is officially only supported in Tru64 by doing a backup-shrink-restore. In your case, just shrinking the vdisk and doing disklabel would probably work, but then you are trying something that is untested.

The most dangerous thing about your current condition is the "a", "b", "f" and "g" partitions would have been defined by disklabel -rw and with an illegal size for "c" the overlap checks may not prevent someone from overwriting part of the advfs "c" by placing a filesystem on one of those other partitions. If you leave the vdisk at 1300GB, I would try to use disklabel -e to set the size and offset to 0 for all partitions except "c".
sgparker
Occasional Advisor

I was able to create test vdisk on EVA and have found the following.

Command View 6.02 doesn't allow shrinking vdisk, haven't checked further but was probably something I read for CV7.0.

Also, was able to write the original disklabel back to the test disk but had to first zero the label.

Thinking my plan now is to create two 700GB vdisks and move onto them. Using addvol and rmvol possibly.

Thanks all,
Steve