Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752742 Members
5322 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: True 64 V5.1a NHD5 Orange Cameroun

Hi Ralf

What kind of manual intervention I need to do?

After reinstaling the 5.1A into a new HD, can I copy all the kernel (and the related files) to the old HD?

Cheers,
Andreas
SGBU

Hi Johan

I cleared the BOOTDEV_DEF, confirmed the OS_TYPE to be UNIX (this system was used for WindowsNT arghhh).

Yes, this is an AlphaServer 4000 with two 600MHz CPUs and 1GiB of memory (blue case) into a BA30C case.

I removed a DAC960 3 channel bcz the Tru64 5.x does not have support for this controller (sigh) as informed by Cybrary.

Also this system has a KZPDA-AA but the SRM shows as unknow device.

Cheers,
Andreas
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Andreas,

manual intervention is not supported so it is fairly dangerous to give any command. If a problem occure you are on your own and you will get no support at all (which is ok if it is a PC but not for highend systems)!

Have a look at the best practice pointer, explaining how to "clone" system. Moving a harddrive is only supported if machine is equal to the original one (cpu, hardware, cards and slots etc.)

Btw. are you sure you understand how Tru64 5.x works? There are dynamic configuration files for all the hardware leading to a problem if moving from a system to a totally different one.

So please have a look at the given pointer.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Aha, previously used for NT....did you run the correct ECU (for DEC Unix or VMS) after you switched OS-type ??

Johan.

_JB_

Johan and Ralf

Yes, I understand the differences between a OS (UNIX) and a toy (NT).

Yes, I know that I'm at my own. This is not a problem for me. This is test machine I will not create any problems for HP ;) I work for HP (SGBU Americas OV Support).

I have 3 Alpha systems at my house and I'm making some tests at this "totally new brand model".

I'm asking for help here bcz I depleted all my resources at Cybrary, Docs, etc. and I suppose that here I will found a lot of people with a knowledge on similiarm problems.

Look, I hae access to all of external and internal documentations and can not find any good solution for this problem.

So, what I can do replace the wrong kernel into the HD?

Cheers
Andreas Berendsen

Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

So did you run ECU or not ?
If you do not tell in detail upfront all
what you tried and the outcome of it, we can
continue suggesting forever things you already tried......

_JB_
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

There is no documentation internal available because it is dangerous if it will be posted outside of the company.

Why not using the official documented way within "best practice"?

Hi

There is a lot of internal documentation with "CONFIDENTIAL" that we never must show to non-HP related workers - like the ones we can found at Cybrary.

I think it's a good time to start writing a internal doc to fix this type of problem.

Also I called the Tru64 3rd support level here in Brazil and no one knows how to fix this problem too.

But....ok...I'm on training now and today night I will do the ECU test and send an e-mail with the results.

Tks a alot for the help at this point.

Peace
Andreas
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

It is not a good idea to create a "shared" documentation on that kind of problem. Because there is an official way (have a look at best practice) and the unsupported way leads to unsatisfied customers (maybe during an escalation). Engineer will not support or help you on that due to unsupported state!

So if you will use it for your own it is ok, but do not give the information away or post it internal/external (maybe it will not work on some versions too)!

One customer got such an internal script from an onsite engineering and must reinstall the whole Tru64 environment due to unsupported system state during an escalation.

Now have a look to the official way....

Antoine Morpain
Occasional Advisor

May be due to some unsupported hardware under 5.1A (even with the NHD), like PCI adapter standard on latest hardware [by default installed with 5.1B].

I remember a similar issue (5.1A also) with a Radeon PCI adapter but I don't remember if it was on DS15 or DS25.

Tryed with NHD7 ?