1748252 Members
3921 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: True 64 V5.1a NHD5 Orange Cameroun

Antoine Morpain
Occasional Advisor

Also, if you have adapters with additional bios (such as SMART raid arrays), you may have to do something like:
>>>set heap_expand 4MB (biggest value)
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

After we are in common, that moving a disk (similar to cloning) from one system to a totally different system is not supported/working due to technical reasons we should focus on the installation problem with the CD-Rom.

As written in the installation documentation you must set the srm variables correctly incl. clearing the bootdev.

The hardware must match the supported options (check cards, config issues and restrictions for an installation) and must be supported by 5.1A

Firmware must be uptodate to the one necessary for 5.1A.

On an EISA machine you must run ECU for Unix and disable not installed hardware (verify this).

All components must be identified by SRM.
(unknown leads to problem)

After that there is no reason why 5.1A will not run on such an old machine. So if it will not run doublecheck...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }

Hi.

Status update

1. Tried many thinks: removed all the boards; changed the CPUs to 300MHz; changed the memory to sync; installed only 1 CPU - same errors when booting from CD-ROM

2. After runing the ECU utility (but not doing any changes) and NOT saving the configuation - same errors when booting from CD-ROM

3. After runing the ECU utility (but not doing any changes) AND SAVING the configuration - no errors when booting from the CD-ROM.

4. Installed back all the boards (including the unknow board), the two 600MHz CPUs, the 1GiB EDO memory - no errors when booting from the CD-ROM.

WHY WHY WHY?????

Now I am instaling the Tru64 5.1A into a new disk to create a new kernel. After that I will copy this kernel to the old disk and will try to boot.

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

This is a typical beginner problem, as written within the documentation the ECU must be run after each update. It is important to use the correct version (NT/VMS+UNIX) and latest one.

The ECU stores the config informations to the NVRAM, this information will be changed during update leading to "phantom" devices/hardware leading to crashes during boot.

PS: Using the "new kernel" on a totally different type of machine may not work. If creating an individual kernel hardware may vary, using genvmunix is a starter.... and as written before using a system disk from a totally different machine will not work due to the dynamic device databases. You never give up, right? ;-)

Hi Ralf.

Yes, never.

1st, this servers was a production system running Windows NT (Alpha) for years in a local telephonic compnay w/o problems.

I bought it very cheap AFTER testing it (including a lot of disks).

My first try was moving the disks from my AS100A to this new server were the problems appear.

After testing back with Windows NT, Tru64 4.0F, Debian Linux (all runing very well) I suppose that the problem is only with Tru64 5.x.

So, I can not give up.

Now the AS4000 has all the boards back and the Tru64 5.1A is installed and running.

Now my next step is moving the new kernel to my old boot disk (with all my configurations). If this works I have a solutions to this infamous problem.

Wait for my next chapter ;)

...and...

If this is consisten problem, this problem must rise with all versions of Tru64 and all operating systems and not only with Tru64 5.x.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Which problem do you mean?

Invalid ECU configuration is a well known problem after update - why not study documentation preventing such an issue? Due to the dynamic configuration it will always lead to a problem on V5.x. In V3.x and V4.x it always crashed with invalid NVRAM information if ECU was not running after srm upgrade, btw. WinNT uses ARC and not SRM so NVRAM information differ (ECU for ARC and ECU for SRM differences!).

And the problem of moving a disk to a totally different machine starting at V5.x is also well known and is documented as "not supported". Copying a kernel from another machine may not work - also well known due to technical facts.

So why ignoring technical facts and not learning some of the machine type (ECU/SRM/ARC) and Tru64 basics?