New Discussion юеВ

Unable to boot 5.1B

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

Unable to boot 5.1B

Hi all,

I cannot boot 5.1B on a customers system either from CD or from disk whenever the HSZ70 controller is powered on. I know there has been quite some debate about HSZ70's in the past:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=640329

but it seems they are now supported.
The firmware on the DS20 has been upgraded as per the 6.9 Firmware CD and the internal KZPBA is at 5.77. The HSZ itself is at 77Z-0. Am I going to need patches to the HSZ to make it work?
The message I get on boot comes on discovery of scsi5, which is the location of the HSZ.

It cycles around each target:

ccfg_do_inq_ccb

It's basically saying its doing and inquiry and can't stat what its seeing I think.
Turn off the HSZ and it boots fine.

Any clues?

cheers,

Ian.
13 REPLIES 13
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unable to boot 5.1B

Do you see the HSZ disks from SRM? Try:

>>> sho dev
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The HSZ70 is supported under 5.1b and you appear to have the right firmware versions, so you may want to engage support.

Did it ever work with 5.1B for you, or is this a new install? Did an older OS version work for you (which?)

An old (HP internal) note from Han suggests there may be a problem with HSZ70's if you are doing multibus failover with dual controllers. The vendor ID's on the two controllers are sometimes different (missing?), which confuses the operating system. m. This caused the WWID not to be unique. This cause a no match in DDR database for hwmgr to generate the right additions, and it goes down hill from there.

To check if you have this problem do a "show this" and "show other" on the HSZ70's. Make sure that the vendor/product ID's are identical (including white spaces and everything). You may have to swap the controller and make sure that the new ones are identical.

hth,
Hein.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it sees the devices at the >>>.

Hello Hein! I went to some of your sessions at the (sadly missed) Symposium!
The system itself is running 4.0F. I was checking that it would boot the 5.1B CD to make sure that my upgrade (via 5.0a) would work. I think you might be right about support...

cheers,

Ian.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

Hein,

I will get the vendor ID information tomorrow.

thanks,

Ian.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

The vendor IDs are identical. I think i'm looking at logging a support call for this one...
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Do I understand correctly that you get this error when you boot from the V5.1B installation CD?

If so, is this the latest one? You may want to try booting from the NHD7 media as there were a few fixes for the HSZ70 in BL025. I don't see exactly your problem in the description, but you never know.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

Han,

I thought I had tried to boot NHD-7 but I will confirm on Monday as I have a site visit booked and some downtime arranged.

many thanks,

Ian.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

The NHD7 CD that I have does not have a bootstrap on it and appears to be for both 5.1A and 5.1B. I have tried all the CDs I have now:

4.0F - April '99 - OK
5.1 - '00 - OK
5.1B - Nov '02 - FAILS

The full error messages are "invalid inquiry data received", "ccfg_do_inq_ccb" and "hard error detected". I'm going to log a call tomorrow.

cheers,

Ian.
Ian Hawley
Occasional Advisor

Chaps,

This has now moved on to me trying to patch the HSZ70! Does anyone know where I can find the HSZ70 patch kits?

cheers,

Ian.