Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752280 Members
4582 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to restore files from multi-tape dump

Unable to restore files from multi-tape dump

I am unable to restore files from the multi-tape dump. I mount the second tape and issue the following command for the restore: restore -iR -Yf tape-device -s 2

The system locates the correct filesystem and allows me to issue the add and extract commands. Then, the system asks me to mount the tape containing the data and to start with the last volume if I don't know which volume the data resides. I enter 2 and then the system responds "You have not read any tapes yet. Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start with the last volume and work towards the first. Specify next volume #:" I enter a 2 and the system asks me to mount volume 2 which I do. Then the system responds "enter tape name (default:/dev/nrmt0h) and I accept the default. Then the system responds with the following "You have not read any tapes yet. Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start with the last volume and work towards the first. Specify next volume#:" I enter a 1. The system responds enter tape name and I accept the default (/dev/nrmt0h). Then the system responds as follows: wrong dump date got: Wed. Nov. 24 09:25:03 2004 EST wanted: Wed Nov. 24 14:24:55 2004 EST. Is it possible to restore files from a multi-tape dump? If so, what command must be entered? Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to restore files from multi-tape dump

Hi,

are you sure you used dump as means of backup and not vdump? You have no advfs domains then? dump can not backup that. It looks like it wanted a newer tape.

greetings,

Michael

Yes, I used dump. The file systems I'm backing up are ufs. After the system completed the first dump, I loaded the second dump tape.
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

dump is not supported anymore, you can use vdump and vrestore on ufs file systems and it works fine, even if you do not have AdvFs, you can install the vdump and vrestore commands by installing the following subsets (For Tru64 Unix V 4.0G):
OSFADVFS445 installed AdvFS Commands (System Administration)
OSFADVFSBIN445 installed AdvFS Kernel Modules (Kernel Build Environment)
OSFADVFSBINOBJECT445 installed AdvFS Kernel Objects (Kernel Software Development)

Good luck