1748142 Members
3755 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade from 4.0D to 5.0

xadamz55

Upgrade from 4.0D to 5.0

Hello,

I'm in the middle of upgrading from 4.0D to 5.0 and have hit a snag. The installation seemed to go ok, then the server automatically rebooted, then the system was configured and the kernel was automatically rebuilt and the system was rebooted again. This time, when the system was booting, it errored when trying to mount the local filesystems. I got the following error:

Checking device naming:
Passed.
Checking local filesystems
Mounting / (root)
Cannot find boot filesystem mount point
mountroot: Please correct the mount problem and reboot

I tried running bcheckrc and got the same error message. The following is my /etc/fstab file:

root_domain#root / advfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
usr_domain#usr /usr advfs rw 0 0

The root domain is currently mounted and I could successfully mount the usr domain as well.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade from 4.0D to 5.0

The error message is extrange:

Cannot find boot filesystem mount point

The boot filesystem mount point should be /. If cannot find the /, then there should be a logical problem in the file system. The verify should be runned before the upgrade installation.

You should run the /sbin/advfs/verify command to your filesystems.

From "man 8 verify":

If you want to run the verify command on the root file domain, choose the -a option to view diagnostic warnings, or boot from another disk or installation CD and use the -f or -d option as shown in the Example section.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade from 4.0D to 5.0

Hi,

did you know the exact point where the problem occurred?

greetings,

Michael