1753479 Members
5213 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgradefrom 4.0D to 4.0G

Upgradefrom 4.0D to 4.0G

Hi All,

We have two Aplha servers running 4.0D

Alphaserver 4100 and Alphs server DS20 , I understand that both these server models are Retired , I would be interested to know if we can upgrade these two servers from 4.0D - Unsupported version to 4.0G - Supported version.

Can you please help me on this and let me know if the upgrade is possible.

Regards,
Raja.B
6 REPLIES 6
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgradefrom 4.0D to 4.0G

Yes it is possible.
You can upgrade by using the installupdate command.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster

Hello Valdimir,

I would be interested to know if the hardware Alpha 4100 and Alpha DS20 support Tru64 4.0G.

Regards,
Raja.B
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Yes, they do!
It works OK. I had some 4.0F and 4.0G installations on DS20 and DS20E.
But maybe you will need NHD CD (new hardware delivery) for DS20. But that is not a problem, just do not forget.
jim owens_1
Valued Contributor

The AS4100 and DS20 are only unavailable for new purchase. Both models are supported for repair service and by the latest Tru64 V5.1B kits and prior OS releases.

But I recommend you upgrade now to V5.1B unless you are prepared to do another upgrade in 6 months or spend money in the future on a custom support contract. Normal support for V4.0 ends in June.

If you must remain on V4.0, then 4.0F is a better choice for your hardware. 4.0G will work but was designed for the GS160/320 NUMA machines.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Jim is right about latest version. But I think you have reason why migrate to latest 4 and not latest 5 version. There is big difference between versions 4.x and 5.x.
jim owens_1
Valued Contributor

Vladimir has a very good point.

A V4 to V5 transition can be difficult so it is easier and safer to get up on 4.0F/G. Before going to V5.1, always do full backups of everything. I only do V4 to V5 by saving my data files and reloading them after a fresh install.