Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748154 Members
3630 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading ES40 to ES45

Paul A. Thele

Upgrading ES40 to ES45

I am upgrading a stand-alone ES-40 running Tru64 5.1B PK5 to an ES-45. The boot disk is on an EVA5000. I attempted to boot the ES-45 from the genvmunix kernel. The system panic'd trying to activate the PCI devices. Does anyone know of any "gotcha"s for upgrading in this manner with the ES-45?

thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

-paul
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading ES40 to ES45

I don't know if that would ever work, but to try it in the first place you MUST have new hardware delivery 7 installed.

It would be better if you reinstall the system and restore your configuration files.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Paul A. Thele

I have used this technique to upgrade from a GS-140 to a GS-160. I had to sort out some drive names after I booted the system, but was able to do so.

Also, NHD-7 has been installed.

thanks
-paul
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

The device databases on the ES45 are different from the ES40 (just as the ones on the GS160 are very different from the GS140). So this is known not to work. The only safe bet is a re-install.

One thing that you could try is to delete the device databases (or copy a known good one from a similarly configured ES45 system) and then boot from genvmunix. This *should* create a new device database and then the system may boot. You will also need to manually fix up the /etc/fstab and /etc/sysconfigtab for the changed device names. Note that this will NOT work in clusters.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I suggest creating a bootable tape on the original ES40 and restoring this on the ES45.
In this process you can accommodate for different hardware by creating a modified configfile in /sys/conf and specify this when creating the bootable tape.
I think the device database is recreated when booting after the restore.

Pieter
Paul A. Thele

Due to time constraints I was forced to do a fresh install on the ES-45 and then "migrate" everything over.

Thanks for the help.

-paul