Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Quotas

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

User Quotas

Hi all,
I have been requested to create a user on a Tru64 System running version 5.1B.
What is needed is giving the user a specific directory to write to with a max usage area of 5 GB to use on that drive, and not to be able to write anywhere else.
How can I do that, do I hav to install the C2 Security so I can get more options for adding users?, will my issue be resolved by the C2 secirity subset?

Thanks

Mohamed
6 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: User Quotas

Hi,

You can restrict a user quota for a user without installing c2, however only on a fileset basis. I have found no evidence, that c2 enhances that. To restrict a user to his home directory you could give him a unique group and use restricted shell.

Tell me, if that covers your needs,

Michael
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your reply,
I want the user to have the group "users" as the other users on the system, will this help?
Also what happens if I want to include him in the "dba" group?
How can I give limits in the shell, how can I give a restricted shell?
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

May be it is better clear my question...
There is a certain user on the system that creates big files and can fill up a mount point.
What I need to do is just give him an allocated space to play with on a certain mount point, and is a part of group "users".
For example: user John can only use /x2/John directory and can only take 5 GB of space. He is not allowed to WRITE to any other mount point or to exceed 5GB of space. However, he can read and run scripts on other mount point.

I hope this clears the problem.

Mohamed
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

maybe you won't need rsh at all. Just give him 5gb of space on /x2, limit all other quotas on the other filesets to a minimum of 1mb or so. Can you give him his own fileset?

greetings,

Michael
Mohamed K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

OK, but how can I do that.
Can you provide the commands or just point me to the direction that I can find procedure.
I can't give him his own fileset.

Mohamed
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

instructions on how to set it up you find here:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH96DTE/CHPTRQTS.HTM

One more thing: check, if quota is in your config file in /sys/conf

greetings,

Michael