6998 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Utilization of filesystem --- incorrect output from df -k

guna_1
Advisor

Utilization of filesystem --- incorrect output from df -k

Hi,

In my tru64 5.1B server , df -k shows one of filesystem is 100 % . But while calculating the utilization of each directory in that filesystem is only 60 % .

Please help me to find out which one is holding the space or to make df -k to display actual utilization.

Thanks and regards,
Guna

10 REPLIES 10
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

AdvFS BMT, fragfile and other meta-data are not counted in by df....

Try "/sbin/advfs/vdf -k"

Also deleted-but-still-in-use by a process can blur your vision on the utilisation.
fuser -c /mountpoint , or lsof can help here.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

df takes information from quotas. Run checkquota on that file system. If the file system is root umount all other file systems and look for hidden files. More info available here with search engine.

greetings,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it seems it is easier to post the same question 1000 times over and over again instead of using the search function giving you the exact answer to the question....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ralf,

why do you repeat the same stuff I wrote? ;-)
I guess, you have a function key programmed for that answer. *grins*

Michael
guna_1
Advisor

Hi Ralf,

I tried to find thru search only , But in this case i couldn't frame correct sentence which will retrive answer for my question . And i did not know that this is related with Quota.

Hi friends ,

I used "quotacheck -guv /mountpoint" , it solved my problem.

Thanks and Regards,
Guna
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Guna,

happy to hear about that.

Michael

ps. If the search engine were better than Ralf's hint were certainly the way to go for. ;-)
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

funny answer, I've simple entered "df" as keyword within the search field and got over 15 answers to the same problem leading to the solution. So why blaming us for the search function if it still works and it is only lack of knowledge from your side?

Michael: no you mentioned only the search function but it seems all your HP machines are still working without a problem, due to the fact you are spending so much time posting answers from previous solutions ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
James David Taylor
Occasional Advisor

Interesting to read the solutions but they don't work - at least not for us as the filesystems are mounted without userquota or groupquota.

Any better ideas as we have a 1.6Tb filesystem reporting 100% yet only 1.1Tb is in use.
Greg Yates
Valued Contributor

James,

Are the file systems AdvFS or UFS?

Did you try Johan's suggestion re fuser or lsof? If you've tried the earlier suggestions and still don't get good results, I suspect that you have a progam/programs that have opened a bunch of temporary files and unlinked them, but not closed them (yet). If that's the case, tools like fuser and lsof will help uncover which files are open and from that you may be able to get a handle on what's happening.

Does a reboot bring the space back in check? It will if the problem is as I'm describing.

Post the output of "df -k /mountpoint" and "du -skx /mountpoint".

Greg