Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is truss/trace?

ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

What is truss/trace?

This is HP Tru64 5.1A. Oracle support asked us "can you confirm if you have truss/trace installed on this node as I'd like to further explore which o/s system call is at fault here if related?". However, I don't understand what truss/trace is. Can you explain it? How can I check whether we have installed it on this node?

Thanks

Eric
3 REPLIES
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is truss/trace?

Truss and trace are utilities you can use the trace the system calls of a running process. truss is delivered with the Extended System V features in the Associated Products CD (I think # 2) on V5 and later (it doesn't require an additional license).

trace is open source. It could be on the freeware CD.
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

# sizer -v
Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885); Sun Jun 8 10:53:42 CST 2003
# man truss
No reference page found for truss.
# which truss
no truss in /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/bin/X11
-------------------------
Why can't we find the man page for truss?
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

hi Eric

you have install the truss product, unless you install man wouldn't display the info about truss,

this product will be in second CD of associated products,and inside Extended system V features
never give up