1753793 Members
7099 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

X11 clients

Matthew_80

X11 clients

Hi

I'm looking to replace my windows boxs which connect to our Alpha server via Hummingbird Exceed, with a Linux Equivalent. I've googled around a bit and haven't really come up with much and I was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas. (I'm fairly new to TRU64 so hopefully it won't be too complicated)
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: X11 clients

Hi,

I am not sure, what you are looking for, decent hardware for linux?
BTW, on your windows move there is running a X11 server, not a client.
Could you please give some more detail, what you are planning to do with Linux?

thanks,

Michael
Matthew McCarthy_1

basically I need access from my PC's to 2 of our Alpha servers. I just need an xterm and a couple of other x apps (Xemacs , netscape etc) which is what the windows/exceed combo is giving us now. We don't really use any app's on the local PC except for maybe notepad and accessing the samba shares on the Alpha, So really I plan only to use Linux and an intermediary.

Thanks for your responce
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hi Mathew,

The Linux GUI's are X11 based (XFree86 - RedHat), so they provide an X11 Server already. This is what Hummingbird provided for the Window environment, a X11 Server.

So, you should not need any additional GUI software. You will probably have to use "xhost" to configure X Security on the Linux XServer, then tenet over to the Alpha UNIX system or OpenVMS and set the DISPLAY back to the Linux host and then run xterm.

Hope that helps,
Dave Bechtold
Matthew McCarthy_1

OK, I'm not sure how I would do the last part

"Alpha UNIX system or OpenVMS and set the DISPLAY back to the Linux host and then run xterm."

Would this setup allow me to run term's app's off of both servers simultaneously? as logining into and out of X many times a day would not be a good option.

thank

Matthew McCarthy
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as Dave said, you open a telnet session and you can run many as you like to as many machines as you want and run X11 parallely.

greetings,

Michael
ps. did you create a second account here?
Matthew McCarthy_1

yeah I tried it, it works well.
thank you very much :)

Matt McCarthy

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Linux can be configured as X-Terminal (keyword: xdmcp broadcast). This is possible with all X11-Servers (also with exceed).

Be sure you understand the difference between X11 client and X11 server....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }