Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alhpha server es40 hang up

Azim_3
Occasional Advisor

alhpha server es40 hang up

Hi All,

My alpha es40 with tru64 v5.1B hang up without any errors in /var/adm/messages or /var/adm/binary.errlog.
I have to reset(only option) the server to get back to normal condition.
The same problem occured for 2nd time.

need your help!!!!

azim
3 REPLIES
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: alhpha server es40 hang up

Have you checked /var/adm/syslog.dated/*?

What is your console firmware revision?

Have you tried forcing a crash dump and checking out the dump file? To do that, halt the system and enter 'crash' at the >>> prompt and then reboot normally. Your crash files should be under /var/adm/crash.
Azim_3
Occasional Advisor

Hello Mark,

Thanks for ur reply.

I have checked, there is no errors in /var/adm/syslog.dated/*

My firmware revesion: 6.3-2

After the server hang up, i had reset the server & after that i take a full power shutdown. So ther is no update in /var/adm/crash.

Is the nfs partition create problem???

azim
d.yoman
Advisor

Please note that whenever a system hangs DO NOT reset it of power off. Always use HALT button. After the system is halted it would come to SRM prompt, the P00>> prompt. At this prompt type "crash" and press enter this would generate a crash dump and next time whne you boot the system the files will be written /var/adm/crash.
You may refer to these files or log a support call with HP.