Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753643 Members
5057 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: alphaserver es40 booting up with only 1 CPU, should have 4 (maybe)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Pember

alphaserver es40 booting up with only 1 CPU, should have 4 (maybe)

We have an Alphaserver ES40 running Digital Unix that hadn't been booted up for over 2 years prior to yesterday. Someone who was here then claims that it should have 4 CPUs. However, psrinfo as well as "show config" under the SRM console says that it only has 1. All licenses have expired.("root" can still log in.) Could that account for the system only booting up with 1 CPU? (I think "no".) If it had 4 CPUs and the other 3 had gone bad would it even boot up at all? (I think "no" as well.) I started to look under the hood to physically count the CPUs (if that's even possible) but decided to not to go further than taking off the top lid. So, am I correct in assuming that this machine does indeed have just 1 CPU?
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

A lack of license PAKs might affect Tru64,
but it wouldn't affect the SRM console.

My experience with multiple Alpha CPUs is
nil, but I can imagine a situation where one
good one and three bad ones might appear as
one good one. Seems unlikely, however.

I'd probably do a physical inspection, but
I'd expect the SRM report to be accurate.

They look pretty obvious (although not always
well labeled) in the pictures in the manual:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/download/es40og_revb.pdf

Example console output there should be good
for comparison, too.

> So, am I correct in assuming [...]

Assuming? Almost never. But inspection is
pretty reliable.
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

I have, on very rare occasions, seen a bad CPU cause other CPU's not to be recognized. So it's possible, though admittedly unlikely, that your system could have four CPU's and only one of them has gone bad. I agree with the previous reply that inspection is the right thing to do.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you're still nervous about taking the lid off to take a look, then assuming that the file system is still intact you'll probably be able to get some historic information by looking through previous boot records in /var/adm/messages.

Having said that, it doesn't take much effort to take the covers off to take a look.

Cheers,

Rob
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

"show config" at the srm console doesn't bother about licenses.
At this time no OS is active yet.

For 4 CPU's you need multiple PSU's.
I think it was 2 to operate, 3 for redundancy.
Check if a second PSU is connected, if not this may prevent the other CPU's to come up.

check "/var/adm/messages" or "uerf -R" voor boot-records and "starting CPU" messages.
to see if at any time other CPU's then CPU0 where logged.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Another alternative is to plug a serial line (if not already in) into COM1 and then go into the RMC console. From here type "ENV".
No need to shutdown or power off or open the lids. This will show you how many CPU's are physically installed - regardless of if they are running or not.
At console level "show config" should do the trick but failed CPU('s) sometimes do not show up.
If you power cycle the box then watch the OCP. At some point early in the power up you will see "P" on the OCP. The number of P's you see = CPU's installed. If you see one or more "F"'s then it has failed.
Watching the o/p of the serial line (assuming the console variable is set to serial) will also show how many CPU's are installed / failed.
Several methods all without removing the lids. Take you pick!
One you have the info then you can decide if it is broken or not.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Would a simple "sizer -p" and a "sizer -pr" not be enough?

If these numers differ, its most of the time a licence issue.
Watch, Think and Tinker.