Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad block in advfs

sandyt
Frequent Advisor

bad block in advfs

Running tru64 5.1A on alpha server 4100.
I apparently have a read error in the root domain (advfs):
AdvFS I/O error:
Domain#Fileset: rut_dmnre3a#rut
Mounted on: /
Volume: /dev/disk/dsk3a
Tag: 0x00000001.8001
Page: 121
Block: 3936
Block count: 128
Type of operation: Read
EEI: 0x0
AdvFS initiated retries: 0
Seconds from first I/O attempt to this failure: 7
Total AdvFS retries on this volume: 0

1. I presume that I should boot with a cd and try a verify and/or fixfdmn on the domain.
2. Should I also do a scu reassign on the partition and then rebuild the domain?
3. How do I determine which file(s) probably need to be restored from a backup?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: bad block in advfs

As its a 'Read' error, I think all files are intact (i.e., new changes are not lost). The Tag=0x1 imply that its an advfs metadata file (advfs maintains them as well as files).

fixfdmn cannot correct disk problems.
sandyt
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that I should just make a backup of the domain, then restart from a cd, run the scu utility, and then restore the domain?

Thanks
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Take some time to read through this: http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51A_HTML/ARH96CTE/TITLE.HTM

5.10 Recovering from Corruption of a Domain