1751695 Members
4813 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

binary.errlog strings extraction reports an error on tapedrive

Francois_18

binary.errlog strings extraction reports an error on tapedrive

Hello all,

I had a backup tape that failed a backup procedure. (using dump).

So I looked at binary.errlog (I was thinking about an hardware problem), so i saw this messages :
binary.errlog ->
Hardware ID = 65
HP C5683A C305
Active CCB at time of error
CCB request completed with an error
Error, exception, or abnormal condition
HARDWARE ERROR - Nonrecoverable hardware error
%~<^
20040824205910,00+0200
urlog
ctape_wfm
Hard Error Detected
Hardware ID = 65
HP C5683A C305
Active CCB at time of error
CCB request completed with an error
8)j0
8)j0
p%j0
Error, exception, or abnormal condition
HARDWARE ERROR - Nonrecoverable hardware error

Therefore 2 more backups ran (on other tapes) until now without any error.

does that mean there is a bad tape or there will be soon a hardware problem ?

regards.
2 REPLIES 2
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Re: binary.errlog strings extraction reports an error on tapedrive

Hello,

The error that was reported does indeed appear to be a Hardware Error for the device. The command the device failed on was ctape_wfm - Write File Mark. The device is at Hardware ID (HWID) 65, this can be linked to the specific tapeN device using "hwmgr view device" command and identifing the HWID 65 and it's associated Device Name. I would also make sure to review the time of the error reported in binary.errlog with the time of the backup/dump problem to correlate the 2 things. This would not generally be a medium related error - bad tape, unless it was preceeded with several medium/soft failures and final gave up and failed. You also want to look to see if there are any other errors in the binary.errlog leading up to this error which could provide further evidence as to the problem.

I would recommend that the system be at the latest patch level, check firmware versions to make sure they are the latest, then also clean the drive and see how it goes. If problems continue, possible drive replacement maybe necessary to resolve.

Hope this helps.

Dave Bechtold
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: binary.errlog strings extraction reports an error on tapedrive

you have asked the same question previously, why not using the search function? Btw. in case of a hardware problem open a call within the support center...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }