How can I check the btcreate if is good or wrong, only the log show this :

vdump: Status at Thu Nov 8 11:57:22 2007
vdump: Dumped 1331798431 of 1331798431 bytes; 100.0% completed
vdump: Dumped 1299 of 1299 directories; 100.0% completed
vdump: Dumped 26501 of 26501 files; 100.0% completed
vdump: Dump completed at Thu Nov 8 11:57:22 2007
Dump finished.
Rewinding the tape.
btcreate.log file has been created on /var/adm directory.

End of system image creation on tape.

How can I know is good ?
8 REPLIES 8
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: btcreate good or wrong ?

I have never used btcreate.
You may want to post the exact command used, sucht that other can help check the right options were used.

The output presented sure looks good, with all those 100% marks, a postive end message, and no error messages.

For further confidence I would probably browse through /var/adm/btcreate.log

The ultimate test would of course be to try the resulting tape! That would seem a worthwhile excercise, both to test the SAS kernel on tape, and the procedural steps involved

fwiw,

Hein.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

We never used btcreate either.

Always took operating system backup with vdump.

In case a full recovery is needed, boot with the installation media, create the file systems and restore the data.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
ALPHA_10
Advisor

I use the comand ./btcreate and then enter the this menu but I dont know is good because always make the backup, no show the error ....

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but as said above, the only one that you can ensure that you will be able to restore the data, is to perform a test restore. No other option.

We do test restore on "test systems" to ensure this. This should be always part of you backup strategy.

Saludos.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

I have used btcreate several times and have good success with it. I used it to build several workstations with the same configuration. As said, the only true way to know is to test it.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

How can you know is good ?
The only way is to test restore.

I used bttape long time ago and did restore on test machine with no problem.
It was a good backup for some customers not familiar with dsfmgr. Nice to have, but I also wanted them to do backup with vdump.

I prefer vdump over bttape.

In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Mulgund
Frequent Advisor

Alpha,

There should be a specific reason why you are using btcreate over vdump (options provided by others).
If your intent is to image the system along with its settings, filesystems and the filesystem data, then probably you are right in choosing btcreate. Vdump is NOT a substitute to btcreate for taking a installed system image.

If you just want to backup your filesystem data, then probably you can use vdump as suggested by others above.

Regarding your original question, if the btcreate image of the system you have taken is good enough for restore when it is needed, it is best you do the btextract exercise once (as suggested above). It is the best way to make sure things work when in need and you can be rest assured.

Hope this helps.

-Srinivas
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

we used btcreate some times for recovery/cloning it works fine.

What i see in your logfile only displays creating a bootable image!
you don't have any real important fiesystems on your tape!

you still need to modify the /usr/lib/sabt/etc/fslist file to include your filesystems onto the tape.

when done you can check the bootable image only by booting(as in othes posts)
'b -fl "nc" '
this can take quite a while because the tape doesn't get into streaming mode.

You can check the dumps of all the filesystems like any other vdump'ed tape
'mt rewind '
'vrestore -tNf ' (multiple times for each fileset) use "N" for norewind to list the next fileset on tape instead of allways the first.