New Discussion юеВ

can't install Tru64 on DS15

SOLVED
Go to solution
Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

can't install Tru64 on DS15

Hi,

whether there is at somebody an information how correctly to make installation of OS Tru64 on Alpha server DS15 ?
The OS - Tru64 v5.1B
I'm use the Installation Manual but have the next message only:

-----------------------------------------------
Failed configuration ev7_ocla subsystem
Alpha boot: avalible memory from 0x7378000 to 0xfffee000
Compaq Tru64 UNIX v5.1B (rev.2650) 16.10.2002 Physical memory: 4096,00 Mb
Avalible memory 3980.46 Mb
Using 5222 buffers containing 40.79 Mb of memory
Panic (CPU 0): platform not support by this kernel configuration

DUMP: Warning: not disk avalible for dump
DUMP: first crash dump failed: attempting memory dump
DUMP: compressing 159416 Kb into 3812295 Kb memory
DUMP: starting address - 0xfffffc00ffaa6000
ending address - 0xfffffc00fffedfef
size - 5.2 Mb (indicator)
DUMP: writing data 9 Mb
DUMP: crash dump complete

Halted CPU 0
Halt code 5
Halt instruction executed
PC = ffffffff00300d70
-----------------------------------------------

I have a two the same servers, the fault identical, means I something not so I do.
Who knows as correctly it to do please inform me.

BR,
Efim.
Look for the answers, do not stop !
9 REPLIES 9
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: can't install Tru64 on DS15

So it is time to have a look into the supported option list which also contains information how to install the machine. The installation manual is not enough to install a machine, it is also important that all cards and firmware releases matches the recommendations. On newer machines a NHD cdrom is necessary. So checking the supported option list leads to:

"v5.1B:
NHD7 (Search on NHD7) kit part # QA-MT4AX-H8 required."

Btw. all HP machines comes preinstalled from factory, so I'm wondering why not using the installed version. If adding additonal controllers check the support option list and you will get additional informations. A "play and guess" will not lead to a running and supported system...

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ralf,

It is reasonable that I'm before installation process was read instruction and "Read me First".
But NHD not bootable disk and install on already finished system with operation system.
Preinstalled from factory - it is very good, but if I'm owner of it HW and SW why I can't install MY system by my unique requirements ? :-)
May be I'm not like how my operation system installed on factory ?
The problem is not it.
The problem is that two absolutely the same server show absolutely the same fault messages in the same time of moment of installation prepare from CD.

I mean that it some ruse of HP for not possibility self-installation of owners. :-) (it's joke).

But if seriously - not clear fault and I need some instruction for correctly installation it.

BR,
Efim
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

We (HP) are masters in hiding the required info behind insignificant messages, but if you read the AV-RJ2JJ-TE "New Hardware Delivery-7" notice that came with V5.1B-1, you will find a reference to the online "docs" web-site. In the left frame of that page you will find "New Hardware Delivery", and finally you get to:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/nhd/NHD7/nhd_notes.pdf

In there you will find that the NHD-7 CD is bootable with the command:

>>> boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" dqb0

Alternatively you can stuff the NHD-7 CD into a PC CD-drive and read the same pdf file from the /DOC subdirectory.

Off you go then,

__ Johan __ ;-)

_JB_
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Efim,

an Alpha is not a PC where a plugin and play prior to "plan the installation" will work.

The DS15 is newer than the first release of the base Tru64 5.1B CD, so it makes sense to use the NHD7 as docuemented to install the system.

This behaviour is well documented within the supported option list. If installing a system it is required to plan an installation. During planing you must check the required firmware versions, the supported options and you must fit the installation requirements for each card (e.g. some cards must be installed in specific slots etc.).

So why are you blaming HP if you install the machine by your own? If you will send us an order we will do the job fulfilling the "planing" steps. Btw. DS15 can also be installed with different Tru64 versions and with OpenVMS, so you must always "plan" the installation because each version have different needs.

Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

Dear Johan,

Great thanks for the instruction, it has helped.
However there really is know-how is that during installation so strongly you get used to change disks places that it is possible to pass(miss) an important point when it to do it is not necessary:-).
At the first trial installation and it has turned out:-)

Dear Ralf, thanks for information from area of common knowledge.
I'm have some experience (7 years) with installation and diagnostics of HP9000 Risc systems and first time - with Alpha (It was necessary such to happen:-) ).

In any case thanks for all,
BR, Efim.

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Efim,

your knowledge with HPUX will explain your problems so it must be very confusing... ;-)

Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ralf,

thanks for trusting me :-)

For you information I have near 50 installation of HP9000 - D,K,L,B,C-class, Itanium - rx26xx with all possible of OS's.

It Alpha server I have in first time in my life. So, I read instruction by installation from it bundle and try do it.
Oooops. I have some HW error. Very many time. :-)
Never different instruction is not present in it bundle.
In read.me first sheet the same situation - never description.
How I can know about it artful way for normal installation ?

In HP-UX installation I don't have the such problem never time.

It's very good that has work in HP you have more knowledge than me.
Probably I will be ask you once more time.

In any case thank you for spend time to my persone.

Sorry for my English.

BR,
Efim.
Paul Heller
Occasional Advisor

Efim,
Thanks so much for elicit description of the problem as I too have just stumbled on this "problem" with the DS15s when attempting to reload. And thanks again everyone for the easy posted solution - works like a (sort of) charm.

Anyone have any idea when the hardware support will actually be integrated into the O/S (eg, like maybe a 5.1C release - yes, I saw the response to the thread "Questions about patching 5.1B" and saw the "road map" but Ralf - one can always hope)?

We developed and use an automated release/build O/S system so the user only has to insert the Unix CD and floppy and answer one question and the system is prebuilt with O/S and application and installed on the network. Now he is expected to boot with a special flag set, have 2 CDs, and swap the Cds 7 times? (and yes, our customer builds / rebuilds enough for this to matter).

Sorry I don't buy the pre-built at the factory answer as
(1) if you look at the other question I had posed on VMS, the software was factory installed and still didn't work on the supplied hardware. Not trying to "dig" on anyone, but I agree with Efim - this solution isn't obvious (rather obscure; I looked through the packets of Docs I have for my DS15s and couldn't find any references - of course, having tossed the freeware, trial s/w, the advertisements, etc, perhaps it went out with those). An updated o/s release would address these issues.
and (2) we have the software update subscription so the hardware notice isn't what you would call prominate to the casual or even thorough reader. Good thing we have this forum... TRU64 is such a good O/S, I hate to see it go out this way.

Paul
Efim Kushnir
Frequent Advisor

thanks to all for help me