Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752590 Members
3475 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot use the console serial COM1 on DS25!

klbblk
Advisor

cannot use the console serial COM1 on DS25!

Dayes before I still could still use the serial(COM1 on DS25)console to login to the Tru64 system, but today I unexpectedly cannot
login to the Tru64 system that terminal is nothing to output (it means that the serial terminal does not respond) via the same serial cable and the same serial COM1 and also the same termianl software!
Now I have checked the DS25 Tru64 System that there is nothing changed! Then I restart
the system , but the serial COM1 still cannot be used!
Should I change the console variables graphics to serial !?

6 REPLIES 6
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

Hello klbblk,

Pls cross check ur serial cable and com port, You can change console variable graphics to serial, Console variable must be graphics for VGA card installed at PCI Slot.

Regards

Awadhesh

It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Yes, you should check the current configuration and change it if needed.

Connect a keyboard and a monitor to the server, and verify the configuration:

show console

Then change with:

set console serial
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
klbblk
Advisor

It's "strangely" OK after I changed console to serial and must reboot the system! NOW I wonder why I could use tty/serial to login to the system while the console variable was set to graphic and the system was running without reboot
before!?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the serial way should work anyway regardless of whether console is set to serial or graphics.

greetings,

Michael
klbblk
Advisor

To Michael:

I know what you said , but I indeed could not use the same serial to login to the system for some time without rhyme or reason! I must set console to serial and reboot the system, then it just can work!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure (NOT SURE) but I think that in some systems, if console is set to graphics, and a keyboard is not detected, serial console is used.

Maybe you first had no keyboard, and worked the serial console, and then connected one, and stopped worked. (Again, maybe i'm wrong).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?