5038 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cant rewrite terminal control entry for ttyp2

Dave Richards
Occasional Advisor

cant rewrite terminal control entry for ttyp2

Hi,

I'm using an AS 4100 AlphaServer running Tru64 4.0F and using Enhanced Security. When users attempt to login they are unable to login and get the message like "can't rewrite terminal control entry for ttyp2".

Can anyone shed some light on how overcome this hurdle?
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have a look here:
http://osr5doc.ca.sco.com:457/OSAdminG/ssT.cantrewrite.html

perhaps it works for Tru Unix the same way.

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

try to check the C2 databases by using authck -a

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Richards
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, our TruUnix 64 4.0F doesn't seem to have the commands you suggested. If perhaps there are equivalent commands in this version that someone knows off...please share it!

Dave.
Dave Richards
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your suggestion, however, we've already tried it without success.

Dave.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Dave,

problem is due to a corrupted C2 database (tty-database). The given command authck checks all C2 databases against syntax errors.

A logical error can not be detected, so try to remove the given ttyp2 terminal from database.

If this will not solve your problems, please switch to base security and back to C2. Maybe this will rewrite all entries (secsetup).
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Dave Richards
Occasional Advisor

Ok well, it seems that the problem has resolved itself! We had just run secsetup and chosen "ENHANCED" and gotten the message that ENHANCED was already installed when it was noticed that users were logging in. Ralf (or anyone else) do you know if it is possible that the mere act of running the secsetup may fixed whatever was corrupted.

At least users are now able to log on, though we still aren't entirely sure what caused the problem and what we did to resolve it.

Thanks again Ralf & Michael for your suggestions.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Switching from Enhanced Security to Base and back to Enhanced won't fix the problem, the database isn't changed. The other suggestions in the responses here are valid. Do you work with Allycia Bheekoo? I responded to her post to the tru64-unix-managers list.
Dave Richards
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ann,

Yes I do work with Allycia. I saw the mail you sent her. We were both working on the same problem. What databases are you referring to? ttys?
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Yes, when you switch back and forth between Enhanced and Base security it doesn't touch the ttys database (i.e. ttys.db). Base security just ignores this database. Allycia's last response to tru64-unix-managers said that you had resolved the problem, but didn't know exactly what you had done that fixed it. Any further insights on exactly which change did the trick? Also, if you still have the corrupted file, could you try sending me a copy (Ann.Majeske@hp.com)? If we could figure out exactly what the corruption was we might be able to fix it so it doesn't happen to someone else.