Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cdsl warning

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

cdsl warning

Hi,

I have executed mkcdsl -c wtmp in /usr/var/adm but cdslinvchk is still complainging:

Expected CDSL: ./usr/var/adm/wtmp - ../cluster/members/{memb}/adm/wtmp
An administrator or application has modified this CDSL Target to:
../../cluster/members/{memb}/var/adm/wtmp
9294320 Dec 18 10:26 ./usr/var/adm/wtmp

anyone any idea, why?

thanks,

Michael
6 REPLIES

Re: cdsl warning

The mkcdsl is a command do create new CDSL link it can't fixit.

Fix the CDSL's:

cd /
cp /usr/var/adm/wtmp /usr/var/adm/wtmp.ori
rm /usr/var/adm/wtmp

The path must be exactly same what cdslinvchk expect:

ln -s ../cluster/members/{memb}/adm/wtmp ./usr/var/adm/wtmp

Regards
Ilkka S
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your time. I would expect mkcdsl to create a link according to what cdslinvchk expects, right?

thanks,

Michael

Michael,

mkcdsl is for creating NEW cdsl entries, and it then adds a new site-specific inventory record as described in its manpage. It does not expect to be used to try to re-create standard cdsl entries, and thus it doesn't consult the standard OS inventory records. So, it won't fix something that cdslinvchk is already complaining about.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

There is no sentence in the man-page which contains the words "recreate" or "corrects".
So it seems the old "michael" problem ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Spider,

I don't see any difference between systm/non system cdsl.

Hi Ralf,

though there is no recreate or correct in the man page the options -i allows you to remove the inventory entry, if you replace the cdsl with the original file/directory, right?

thanks,

Michael

Michael,

While you may not see a difference between system and non-system CDSLs, the operating system's package inventory tracking most certainly does. The option to remove inventory only applies to non-system CDSLs from the /var/adm/cdsl_admin.inv file, and not the /usr/.smdb./*.inv files. In general, when cdslinvchk says that a path is wrong, one should be careful about deciding whether it's the inventory record or the existing symlink that's wrong, anyway. However, in the case of the OS-supplied CDSLs, there is strong reason to believe that it's the existing symlink that's wrong. "Fixing" the inventory record would be doing the wrong thing in that case.