Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection refused message when remotely connecting

RICHARD DONAGHY
Occasional Visitor

connection refused message when remotely connecting

Hi, I have three Alpha workstations running Tru64 and have a problem connecting to the workstation I have configured as the master. I am getting the connection refused message every time I try to remotely connect from the other 2 workstations to the master through rsh, rlogin, ftp, etc. But when I go from the master to the other 2 worksataions I have no problem. I can ping to the master ok. Does anyone know what could be the problem. This problem has only occured, it was working fine for over a year.
1 REPLY
Stuart Fuller_2
Valued Contributor

Re: connection refused message when remotely connecting

The master system is:

- not running the inetd daemon

Examine the output of the "ps -ef" command for the "inetd" process. If not found, then start inetd by "/sbin/init.d/inetd". If it starts properly (recheck with the output of the "ps -ef" command), then it may be that the symlink /sbin/rc3.d/S55inetd (that links to /sbin/init.d/inetd) is missing.

- the inetd daemon is not properly configured

Examine the /etc/inetd.conf file on the master and one of the other workstations to check for differences.