108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: defragment -vn tmp_domain never completes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

defragment -vn tmp_domain never completes

DS20E w/ SmartArray controller. 2-72GB disks in RAID-1 set (dsk0), 4-146GB disks in RAID-5 set (dsk1).
Tru64 V5.1B w/ PK4.

root_domain, usr_domain, var_domain, & tmp_domain on dsk0.

'# defragment -vn tmp_domain' never finishes, it sat there for 4 days before I killed it. '# defragemtn -v tmp_domain' (no -n option) works fine. Tried using the -n option on other domains and they work. It's only tmp_domain that has the problem.

'# ps -e' shows the process in a sleep state. Ran /sbin/advfs/verify on the domain and didn't find any problems with the domain.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

From the man page of 'defragment':

Running the defragment -nv command on a domain with a large amount of meta-
data can cause it to fail. To prevent this from happening, double the size
of per_proc_data_size with the sysconfig command or specify the doubled
value in the /etc/sysconfigtab file.

Have you tried increasing that sysconfigtab parameter?
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Mark,

Wow, I forgot I had posted that back in Feb. Anyway, this is tmp_domain and has very little on it so I don't think it's a meta-data problem.

I did track it down to a ksh script that runs all the time. Using lsof I see it has a file open on tmp_domain for some reason.

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
sxp.k 4394 semaskav 61u VREG 3768,707517 0 822 /cluster/members/member0/tmp (tmp_domain#tmp)

I stopped the script and defragment -vn works. Start the script again and defragment -vn stalls. I checked the script several times and it never references /tmp or /cluster/members/member0/tmp.

I don't know whether it's a bug in defragment or there's something about this script. I have this script running on other servers and defragment -vn doesn't have a problem. The other servers are at the same OS version and patch kit.

My workaround so far has simply been to not defragment tmp_domain on that server.

Thanks,
Vic
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Can you tell us more about the ksh script that is referred to...
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Most probably this sxp.k script calls a program that opens a file descriptor on /tmp and uses an flock on it.
defragment also wants to take a lock on the file that it needs to work on and probably waits forever for the first lock to be lifted.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Johan,

That does seem to be the case. I put a sleep statement before the start of a program it runs and the 'defragment -vn tmp_domain' worked. Once the program started the defragment -vn stalled.

I don't see anything open on tmp_domain with lsof or fuser so I don't know what it's doing.

Anyway, why would the -vn options cause defragment to stall and not just the -v option? The -v option alone works.

Also, I have this set up on other servers and the -vn option works OK. Seems to point to something weird with this particular server.

Thanks,
Vic