108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /dev/nrmt0h: No such device or address

SOLVED
Go to solution
Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

/dev/nrmt0h: No such device or address

Hi. I installed a new tape drive (Sony SDT-9000) on Alpha Server 1200 running Digital Unix V4.0F. Now when I run command mt rewind I receive error: /dev/nrmt0h: No such device or address

Command SCU> show edt lists:

Device: SDT-9000 Bus:0, Target:6, LUN:0, Type: Sequential Access

I am more of a windows man so be gentle with me! :)
Many Thanks,
Phil.

4 REPLIES 4
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor

Ok its showing up on your SCSI bus, good, and the Bus Target & Lun figures should give us all the info we need to sort this out.

I suspect the operating system has created new /dev/*rmt* 'device special files' for this new device.
(It should do this after a power up/ reboot of the server.) Unhelpfully it doesnt know that you removed the old one, so it leaves the old redundant device special files in place.

Try the command:

file /dev/nrmt*h

This should identify which device(s) have a SDT-9000 against them. (It may be slow to respond as it will query the attached tape drive(s).

Example output:
/dev/nrmt1h: character special (9/37891) SCSI #2 SDT-9000 tape #17 (SCSI ID #5) (SCSI LUN #0) 97000_bpi

Just look for the SDT-9000 in the above, that shows the tape drive is there.
If you just get:
/dev/nrmt1h: character special
Then the device special file is not attached to the tape drive.

So you could just use /dev/nrmt1h or whatever it happens to be attached to on your system according to the results from the above file command.

(Don't worry if you don't get anything, it just means the device special files have not been created yet. We can fix that.)

If it was replacing an existing device on /dev/nrmt0h and you need it to be on the same device file name, then remove the old entires (carefully, I list them first to make sure only the entries for device 0 are going to be removed):

ls /dev/*rmt0*

(Don't worry about the different letters displayed by the ls command before and after the rmt0, just make sure only rmt0 is shown in the middle.) Change the ls for rm:

rm /dev/*rmt0*

Then you need to use MAKEDEV to create entries for your new device:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV tz6

(Where the 6 is 8 * Bus + Target: 8 * 0 + 6 = 6. So if you need to do another one, this is how you calculate the tz number.)

Since you have removed the '0' device entries MAKEDEV will pick the '0' number to re-create. If you don't remove, it just picks the next free number, but it will report what it has created.

Type the command:

file /dev/nrmt0h

This should now show the SDT-9000 attached.

A bit long winded, but I tried to explain briefly what is going on.

Hope this helps.

Howard.
Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for the detailed response. Just popped the drive back out to do a comparrison on the jumpers (which differed). I matched the new drive to the old and all is now working as expected.

Many Thanks,
Phil.
Howard Anderson_2
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Ahh, Yes I have seen that one before too. I should have thought of that secnario.
Much less painful to solve than with all of those Unix commands !

Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Howard, yep we don't always look for the obvious!
Phil.