5405 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

duplicating another tru64 system

so.nimda
Super Advisor

duplicating another tru64 system

Hi,

I would like to duplicate a server (Server A) with tru64 adfs, filesystems, etc to another separate server (Server B).

Is there a way for me to do the 'recovery' to Server B without having to re-create the filesystems from scratch?

I have a copy of Server A vdump.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: duplicating another tru64 system

If you want to back up and restore a root volume to a different system, consider using configuration cloning. This feature is described in the Installation Guide ├в Advanced Topics. Configuration cloning enables you to recreate a customized operating system on another processor in
the event of a disaster, or to recreate an environment on one or more systems.

If you don't want to destroy the current filesytem, you must restore all needed configuration files.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Cloning for different machines is tottaly unsupported due to hardware database!
Use the "search" function within the forum to get additional informations.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Rob Urban
Advisor

as Ralf Puchner never fails to mention, cloning a system seems not to be supported, but if you
don't care about that, I've written a script
which does something similar: it will create
an alternate system disk (or disks) on a running system, which normally would be used
by the same system as an alternate boot disk.
However, you could probably get the script to
do what you want with little effort. If interested, mail me.

Rob Urban
urban@unix-beratung.de
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

just dd the whole drive (c partition) and hope for the best?

Check out:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/best_practices/BP_CONFIG_CLONING/TITLE.HTM

hth,
Hein.
Rob Urban
Advisor

hmm. dd'ing the C partition won't get you very far on at V5.x system. Cloning a disk to use as a backup boot disk on the same system works, because the disks have already been seen by hwmgr and assigned device names. My clone script simply substitutes the devices names where they are necessary in /etc/fstab, /etc/fdmns/... and so on. If you clone a system disk, and then plug it into a new system, I'm not sure how hwmgr will like it. You have the old hwdb, with has an entry for your disk, and if you used my script, the references are even correct. Of course, you will have dead entries for all the other disks in the original system...

I'd have to try this to say something more definative.

cheers,

Rob Urban