5098 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /etc/group default list

SOLVED
Go to solution
dkenl

/etc/group default list

we're running Tru64 v5.1b-4. i'm fairly new to Tru64, but am familiar with other flavors of unix. is there Tru64 documentation anywhere that lists the default groups that are initially installed and what they are used for? for example, in other unix versions, root permissions are set with the wheel group, but i'm guessing that the system group is what Tru64 uses. i've searched through the manuals we have and couldn't locate such a list. we're trying to lock down our system and remove any users from groups and groups from /etc/groups that aren't necessary, but i'd like to know what the default groups are and what they do so i don't delete any necessary ones by accident. i can do the 'find . -group ', etc., but if there's a summary list somewhere, that would be more helpful and definitive. thanks in advance for any help on this!
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This is the default list for a newly installed system:

system:*:0:root
daemon:*:1:daemon
uucp:*:2:uucp
mem:*:3:
kmem:*:3:root
bin:*:4:bin,adm
sec:*:5:
mail:*:6:mail
terminal:*:7:
tty:*:7:root
news:*:8:uucp
opr:*:9:root
auth:*:11:
lp:*:12:
lpr:*:12:root
backup:*:13:
cron:*:14:
users:*:15:
sysadmin:*:16:
tape:*:17:
tcb:*:18:
adm:*:19:adm
operator:*:20:
ris:*:21:
nobody:*:65534:
nobodyV:*:60001:
httpd:*:22:

And yes, for su, tru64 uses the system group.

Welcome to the forum, please ensure to review:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor
Solution

The default groups for the system are in the file /etc/.proto..group.
Note that the list of default groups might change depending on optional subsets that you have installed. The default groups for the optional subsets should be in the /etc/.new..group file and are set in your /etc/group file by the /etc/.mrg..group script. For a description of the .proto..* and .new..* system default files see:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1151319

I don't think there is any documentation that specifically describes all of the default groups and what they do, partially because there could be default groups set by optional subsets as I described above. I know I've seen documentation on using the system group to set root permissions, but I don't remember where it was.

Ann
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The "man su" command states that to be able to "su to root" you must belong to the system group.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
dkenl

awesome - thanks for the info - that definitely helps!
dkenl

will use posted list/suggestions to go through our current /etc/group file and clean it out.